Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 1993 FZJ80 Slow Build

Cool 1993 FZJ80 Slow Build

Here she is my 1993 Land Cruiser FZJ80. She has 165K on the clock and I bought her on October 5th 2013 with an OME 2.5" Medium Duty Lift, 285/75r16's, ARB Bumper, sliders, and fender guards. Oh, and factory Lockers

2013-10-05.jpg

As she was when I brought her home.

The PO had excellent maintenence records, so I didn't have to do much with that other than clean up some wiring for the backup lights on the roof rack.

2013-10-12.jpg

2013-10-12-2.jpg

This is the truck one week after we picked it up on a trip we made from Florence OR to Veneta OR all on backroads. We stopped for the Night at Romans Nose and then continued on home.

2013-11-2.jpg

2013-11-2-2.jpg

2013-11-2-3.jpg

Our next trip was up to Summit Lake in the Cascades, also you can see that I added a winch to the ARB bumper, a warn XD9000 that I picked up used, and a custom winch plate fabbed up by me

IMAG0334.jpg

Obligatory poser pic

Future/planned mods.

20131125_183809.jpg

20131125_183822.jpg

I am currently working on a storage system for our gear and an Ironman 65Qt Fridge/Freezer, that will also incorporate a second battery, solenoid to control the batteries, and a compressed air setup. As well as serve as a sleeping platform.

After that I am hoping to get the suspension worked out with HD OME's up front and whatever will match the rear up nicely once I get it loaded.
    And finally a 4x4 Labs rear bumper kit with spare tire swingout, and some sort of range extending system like a larger fuel tank and perhaps pixies.

Anyway, thanks for reading I hope to keep this updated.

Nice rig! Storage system looks like it is going to be a nice addition.
    Cam-shaft
    Last edited by cam-shaft; 11-26-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Got a little more done on my drawers.

Figured out how to both get the catch for the latch and the drawer stop in one chunk.

20131201_142208.jpg

And in the back of the Cruiser, Measures 36 3/8" Deep, 44" Wide, and 20.5" Tall. Got both sets of sliders working next is enclosing the areas above the fender. The top and end caps are going to be hinged so I can access what is inside them. At this point I plan on putting my Gel Cell, Control Solenoid, and HAM on oneside, and A 7ish gallon water tank and pump on the other. Also plan to paint and upholster the box for comfort and water resistance.

20131201_142158.jpg

Very nice looking rig! Glad you found a nice rig to start with so that you have a good solid base from the start.
    Curt

96 FZJ80 Factory locked, Metaltech sliders, 2.5" OME lift, 285 GY Duratracs, Revenge Fab front bumper, Flare delete, Warn VR10000-s winch, cruisin offroad rear bumper, 4.56 gears.

I was very lucky in that. The seller was asking a very fair price to a good home, and I was about $1000 bucks short of what he was asking but a couple of other people where no shows so I lucked out!

A rough road is a filter NW Wheeler's Avatar
    Nice rig, sounds like a great find. Looks like you are jumping right into the mods, despite the ‘Slow Build’ title! If you are serious about water storage and want to make excellent use of otherwise wasted space check these out: https://ftaustore.com/categories/4x4...er-Flexitanks/ No doubt you have been to the IH8MUD forum by now: http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/ The guy I bought my 80 from put me on to it, I have learned a tremendous amount about these vehicles on MUD. If all of the wheel bearings and birfields have been properly serviced, then it sounds like you are good to go, that is where most of my time & $$ have been spent. The 4X4 Labs rear bumper is on my list also, but one expensive thing at a time (just bought a winch).
    All that said, Gitout has been a great way to Gitout in my 80 and hangout with some nice, like minded people.
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser - (the automotive version of granite), Triple Locked, 285/75R16 Wrangler MT/Rs, OME 2 1/2" lift, Metal Tech sliders, Slee & Custom skids, ARB & 4X4 Labs bumpers, Zeon 10-S

Those tanks look interesting, do they fir in the rear hatch kick panel?? Also mud is actually where I found my crusier, I started looking for one almost 6 months ago and found mud at that time. I was lucky the seller didn't post it in CL or I'm sure it would have been gone in no time. Which fuel tank do you have in yours?

Found a pic of an installed tank, gotta say I REALLY like that!

A rough road is a filter NW Wheeler's Avatar
    This is the fuel tank, yes; the PO had it shipped from Oz, $1300 - about 7 years ago! http://www.longrangeautomotive.com.a...pop=0&sef=hfpm
    Am likely going to have one of the fabricators on Gitout make a skid plate. It isn’t quite as low as it appears in the pic, it is even with the cross member in front of it, but it does need some protection. If I was adding fuel capacity the spare tire spot looks good, but in the pic their auxiliary tank looks low, I’ve dragged my hitch on all of the trips with Gitout. The other option is a Toyota aux. tank; there is at least one well written thread about them on MUD, as I remember most of the parts for the project have to come from Japan.
    I haven’t been serious enough about the water bladder to research availability in the USA. Sure would beat hauling water jugs around, and it is a good location to even things out opposite the large fuel tank.
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser - (the automotive version of granite), Triple Locked, 285/75R16 Wrangler MT/Rs, OME 2 1/2" lift, Metal Tech sliders, Slee & Custom skids, ARB & 4X4 Labs bumpers, Zeon 10-S

Nice ride! Were you able to gitout in any of the snow today?!! I saw (going the other way) Beltline had 4 wrecks with about 15 vehicles all within 2 miles... one involved a motorhome!!
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"