Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation Trail Tank

Cool Operation Trail Tank

Yep, I am doing a build thread for this one... what a doosy start to a long life (I hope) with what seems to be a good platform.

You saw it on Craigslist looking like this:

040.jpg

That is how I saw it too. The description was great! $7,900! So up I went to West Linn (2hrs from home) to take a look at this beauty. I had been talking with the owner for 4 days trying to hash out a deal and get as much info on it as I can. Problem was he really didn't know much, not a bad thing, he just bought it to tow behind his RV. So the deal we made was, he gives me the Jeep and some cash, I drive his away and he keeps mine. Simple!
    We talked for a bit when I got there, mostly about the Tank. He knew somethings about it, but I found out more. Like he was using a not so honest (my opinion) mechanic that put him in the wrong light for a 4x4.
    Then he said "Let's take it for a spin!" I checked the engine and it was cold (this is what you do when looking used, make sure they didn't start it right before you got there). Hit the pedal once, turn the key and vroom, it starts perfectly. This is great!! I thought...
    I put it drive (hurst shifter ) and it shuddered a little, (the mechanic fixed that) I played with the plugs, wires and some vac hoses and got it going better. Off we go. First corner the things started grinding and shaking. " Thats what it did before he put in the new transfer case" another corner the trans gave out and we started to role back a bit. I got into 4 hi and got it to side of the road so I can crawl underneath. Put it in park, it died... and that would be the last time it would start til it got to my house...
    He was done "Make me an offer, I want it gone". I told him I needed to eat, and I was meeting a friend, so I would get back to him in an hour or so.
    Met with dropzone at Mcminn's and we talked about Tcases, axles, blah blah... Thanks Robb that was great! I owe you lunch!!!
    I stopped at the tank crawled all over/under it. Nice machine, no rust on the pan, frame has been blasted and coated, lift kit (****ty one), bumpers, sliders (nerf), rack, hi lift, new paint, new interior, engine has been worked over, tons of room... I Love It!!!
    This is the last time I saw it in the Portland area:

044a.jpg

I went back to his house, he didn't beg too much, so I offered him $4,000, he gets it to my house and I drive my Jeep home. He can buy mine later if he wants. "deal!" He signed the paperwork, took my address, called AAA and said pay me when you get a chance. (he paid $9,000 for it)

4 hours later this is in my street:

046a.jpg

I popped the hood looked around with a flashlight, hooked up a wire on the resistor (or whatever it is called I can't remember it has been a long day), turned the key and Vroom it starts right up...

The Trail Tank Lives...
    Last edited by cjsrebiff; 10-06-2015 at 09:12 PM.
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"

Congrats biff, ive still got some residual stuff back from my 74. T case and such.

Talk about service.
    When you called and said he took your offer I figured you would be lucky to see it by the end of the week.
    Having it gone probably restored some harmony in his household :-)

This is gonna be a beastly beast on the trail.
    robb

1994 4Runner - Work In Progress aka: project Recycle

Wheel Responsibly

Holy crap what a deal!!!! Sounds like you know what uou are getting in to buy that is a strait up awesome rig. Im excited to see how you build it. Nice going!
    1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ
    with some stuff bolted on..and zip tied on.. and duck taped on... its an XJ after all...

That's absolutely disgusting Biff, you better send that guy a Thanksgiving turkey or something.......karmas definitely on your side today. That is seriously just awesome....!! Congrats

Oh, and since I was correct in finding it.....may I have first Jeep Jab??? ** You're lucky it wasn't a Toyota or you would've had to pay full price...
    sorry, had to.

How much longer is it than your JK? Wheelbase?
    -Lance
    --Red FJ
    ---KG7ZZB

That's a great story. What motor is going in? Modern drive train would be very nice!
    2010 Winnie View - Tuned, 31" Duratrac, 2" Lift, ARB Dual Compressor, 920W Solar, Compressor Fridge/Freezer
    1998 Tacoma - 37s, ARBs, Dual Cases and Blower.
    1998 Ravi - Manual, 2DR, Convertible!

-Peter

Quote Originally Posted by barefootrunnerd View Post
    That's absolutely disgusting Biff, you better send that guy a Thanksgiving turkey or something.......karmas definitely on your side today. That is seriously just awesome....!! Congrats

Oh, and since I was correct in finding it.....may I have first Jeep Jab??? ** You're lucky it wasn't a Toyota because it wouldnt have been for sale...
    sorry, had to.

How much longer is it than your JK? Wheelbase?

that not nice Lance.

Nice find!
    Your CB sucks and you know it!

1993 Land Cruiser FZJ80 Bad Maw
    My adventures

That looks like a great platform to build from! I can't wait to see what you do with it.
    ~Rodney
    '05 LJ Rubicon. 3.75" suspension + 1.25" body lift with Currie adjustable links tuned to fit 35" MTRs.

Seems like you got a good deal. Nice work, I have some memories of one of those in s 2 door model, friend owned when we were younger. His went well but did bring a whole new meaning to being stuck when it got stuck. Also adding some spare trail tanks was a must.
    Cameron
    Last edited by cam-shaft; 10-07-2015 at 12:45 PM.