Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Operation Trail Tank

Here is what I have so far:

2018-04-10 15.52.16.jpg

I am still waiting on Hydro Boost. I thought I ordered a new knuckle for the other side, but I did not. Stupid... I just did, so waiting on that.
    I have the diff ground down to fit the spring perch, just have to move the axle out to weld on. (Ugh)

While I was waiting for parts, I found this on CL.:

2018-04-10 15.51.09.jpg

It is a Kayline tire/jerry can mount from a '50s era Willys. It was a little rusty, didnt all have the mount and latch hardware, so I cut that stuff off and drilled new holes for my bolt pattern.
    I am going to weld it onto a 1x2 piece of boxtube and put that on a spindle. That saves me a ton of time instead of building my own.
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"

How 'bout some Tank Talk
    I finally got the Hydro Boost for my brakes!
    For those of you that do not know, Brake Hydro Boost raplaces the stock power brake vacuum container that runs off the engine vacuum. Looks like this on your firewall:

2018-05-10 20.26.41.jpg

With a power unit that runs off your power steering pump. Looks like this:

2018-05-10 20.27.06.jpg

A reasonably easy process making new lines to reroute fluid, the hardest part it getting the original off, the mount bolts are up here:

2018-05-10 20.27.44.jpg

The bolts were too long for a short socket and a deep socket was too tall, I couldnt get it under the brake pedal mount. Took FOREVER!
    Got it out and cut the bolts so I could fit a short one.
    This is superior to converting the rear to disc brakes. With the 4.10 gears, the 4:1 tcase and the small amount of torque my happy 360 is putting out, I was having a hard time keeping it stopped in 4 low.

Working on SOA next.
    Last edited by cjsrebiff; 05-11-2018 at 04:35 PM.
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:

Nice progress! Were the brakes not having enough power?
    2010 Winnie View - Tuned, 31" Duratrac, 2" Lift, ARB Dual Compressor, 920W Solar, Compressor Fridge/Freezer
    1998 Tacoma - 37s, ARBs, Dual Cases and Blower.
    1998 Ravi - Manual, 2DR, Convertible!

-Peter

Quote Originally Posted by venturer View Post
    Nice progress! Were the brakes not having enough power?
    On road yes. Off road 4 low OK. 4 low in mud or wet. Not at all. Basically standing on the pedal to keep it stopped.
    Could have been the vacuum canister, but didnt want to replace it have still have problems. Not cool. I like to spend money not waste it!
    barefootrunnerd:

Making progress. SOA is complete!!!

2018-05-15 20.10.32.jpg

Spring perches fit good with only minor grinding.
    Had to do some major cutting and sticking back together, but it is all lining up quite well. I had to mount the shocks in an unconventional way, but I have to test to see how everything works with no bind.
    I had to cut the anti sway mounts off the spring plates and reweld to a different location. I thought I could get away without, but I was wrong.
    New Chrome Moly axles are fitting perfect.
    I cannot figure out how to mount my new stabilizer though. Hmmm...
    barefootrunnerd:

This came today:

2018-05-21 18.48.19.jpg

I am wondering if you are as happy as I?
    barefootrunnerd:

Would that be for your throttle or tranny???
    Drive by wire.... not a fan
    '07 fj cruiser on 37s

You are kinda right! It takes the digital signal from my NV241OR Tcase and switches it to gear drive cable like my old speedo. I have been using an old cell phone with a speedo app to keep me in check.
    barefootrunnerd:

Interesting. I was wondering what that was

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    ~Rodney
    '05 LJ Rubicon. 3.75" suspension + 1.25" body lift with Currie adjustable links tuned to fit 35" MTRs.

Whew!!!
    Nothin like a good speedo...
    '07 fj cruiser on 37s