Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: THe Great Yukon Alaska Road Trip|Aug 28th-Sept 20th|

Effing Awesome...
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us! Glad it all worked out in the end too.
    ~Rodney
    '05 LJ Rubicon. 3.75" suspension + 1.25" body lift with Currie adjustable links tuned to fit 35" MTRs.

That looked like a great adventure and I would say that is a good example of the difference between an adventure trip and an ohv park. Sorry about the rig but anything can happen, maybe add a trans temp and psi gauge. It will at least give some early detection of suspect problems.
    Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by expeditionnw View Post

9/15/2015
    The next morning was fueled by coffee and oatmeal. We spent a few hours getting down the rest of the Dempsey.

We hit the pavement about 11am, which we would stay on until we reached home. We were one day ahead of schedule, and hadnt planned any further than right here.

Around 4:00, while pulling a long grade, I felt a THUNK, and the landy began to lose speed. I coasted to the side of the road and attempted to find a gear. It was no use. The transmission had given up, and we were forced to coast to the side of the road. We were 168 miles from the nearest real town of Whitehorse. We couldn't believe our luck, breaking down on pavement, and on the return trip. It could have been far worse, and in a far more remote place. We soon realized this place was plenty remote though, with a single car once every 1.5hrs on the road. Not one stopped, or even slowed down to help, a little disheartening.

Ironically, this is the only place on our trip that the bugs were terrible.

Our phone did not have service, But we had our Delorme Sat text device. We were able to contact Pete, who worked on a AAA tow and Traci, who looked for a rental yard that had the equipment to haul the rover home.

The towing co, located in Whitehorse, couldnt collect us until tomorrow and wasnt willing to haul passengers. they suggested we hitchhike the 160 miles to their tow yard.

We pushed the truck off the road into the ditch, with nothing to do but wait.

9/16/2015
    We woke up and made breakfast and coffee. We knew the day would be a day of waiting. Pete checked with the tow company and got us an eta of 1 pm. Pete got on the phone with AAA and told them passenger transport was a must. He discovered that the tow truck did have a jump seat.

Traci did a lot of checking on our options to get home. Our friends even offered to come get us. We decided to get to Whitehorse and then explore our options.

The tow came shortly after 1. He asked if we could drive the truck up on the road- HA! He winched us up and on the tow truck.

K rode the Rover to Whitehorse with dog. She read books and tried to nap, but it was a bumpy ride.

I took the jump seat in the big Peterbilt along side Vlad, a big Ukrainian guy who couldn't believe someone would drive a land rover anywhere but to the junkyard.

We got to Whitehorse and were offloaded in walmart parking lot. Right across the road was a restaurant with beer and wifi. We set about making a plan.

Truck rentals seemed impossible. Some needed to be dropped in Vancouver BC, most were local only. all had no availability for over a week. We even considered renting an rv. They have sweet Cummins trucks with camper set ups, they would have been perfect to tow the Rover. None allowed towing.

In the end we decided to suck it up and rent a u haul and trailer. After many phone calls we walked the 4 miles to the u haul place. Once there it was such a hassle. The prices were more than the price quoted on the phone. Joe got back on the phone with u haul and after a very frustrating phone call got it figured out. We discovered that the Uhaul store owner, seeing we were American, had been attempting to capitalize on the difference in currency rates and pocket the change. I bet he has made thousands with that scheme.

We paid and left to load the Rover. At the is point both Joe and I just wanted to leave. We winched the Rover on. The tires were too big for the straps! We winched it down and found a hardware store that sold large ratchet straps and got the Rover secured.

As I loaded the truck, a man who was living in a decrepit motorhome nearby, came across the lot just to tell me what a piece of crap land rovers are. He went on to tell me how his nissan pathfinder could go anywhere my truck went, on and on. I commented that its a shame walmart parking spots dont have room for both a decrepit motorhome and a pathfinder, and he stomped off.

It was now 8:30 pm. We drove for about 80 miles and found camp. Seemed odd to be pulling into a campground with a big obtrusive shiny uhaul. It was a long, frustrating, trying day. We were both feeling defeated and hated that our trip would end this way. We had a large, empty, gas sucking box truck towing our broken Rover 2400 miles home.

9/17/2015
    We woke up, made coffee and left camp. We drove and drove and drove. The U haul is uncomfortable and we missed our Rover.

THere was one stop that we weren't going to miss. Laird Hot Springs. This was well worth it. This hot springs is one of the greatest springs we've been to. A 1/2 mile long boardwalk was built, to get visitors from the parking area over the Swampland surrounding the springs.

There are teak changing rooms built over the spring, heated by the warm steam coming up through the slats in the floor.

There were two pools- The large (swimming pool sized) hot pool is where the springs originate, and reach 140deg temps at its head. the large pool has a dam on one side where it falls into the lower pool, cooling it off.

The cooler pool was even larger, winding through the jungle until it is barely wide enough to walk through.

The edges of the pools are all natural, the water super clean and clear with a rocky bottom.
    Joe worked his way all the way up to the spring feeding the pools and sat for a time. It was hot enough to leave burns.

Liard was a surreal experience for us. It revitalized our mind and bodies, more so than any other springs has done. Perhaps our situation made it so much more enjoyable, Either way it will forever be remembered.

After an hour or so we loaded back up and hit the road. We started looking for camp around 10:00. We struck out on so many camps. By the time we found something it was very late (early?). Not many options for a big Uhaul pulling a trailer. We stopped at a pull off that had garbage cans for travelers to get rid of garbage. We crawled into the rover, and were soon joined by a double tanker truck who idled all night. We'll take it. We traveled 650 miles today.

9/18/2015
    6am, Up and on the road. There was a gas station a couple of miles down so we decided to grab coffee there. We set to covering some distance. We had to stop to fuel every 200 miles as that was about the range of the truck. 6mpg woohoo!

We stopped in Prince George and had burgers at Hartís, the the north side of town. It was delicious and Bentley was rewarded with a burger patty from the cook. We fueled and continued on another 200 miles of so before finding camp 15 ish miles down a dirt road. at Helena Lake. We got set up and went to find the bathrooms. We came across a large toad and Bentley played with it. He must have mouthed it, and soon his entire mouth went numb. It was hilarious to watch him try to handle that!

9/19/2015
    We woke early and hit the road hard, arriving home that evening.

We had an incredible time, seeing a lot of country. We both feel like we didnt miss anything. Even when we were broken down in the yukon, it was still yukon territory Aside from the Uhaul debacle, the people in remote canada and Alaska are the friendliest there are.
    great report Joe and Karen. So thankful that you had the Sat phone! thank you again for sharing this amazing trip with us! We truly missed going on this trip and I think your next trip you will have "two followers" = )

Awesome trip and report! Thanks for sharing.
    Robin.
    Gray 93 YJ - Slightly modified.

Quote Originally Posted by cam-shaft View Post
    That looked like a great adventure and I would say that is a good example of the difference between an adventure trip and an ohv park. Sorry about the rig but anything can happen, maybe add a trans temp and psi gauge. It will at least give some early detection of suspect problems.
    Cameron

Mines a manual trans. Oddly, the v8 gas trucks come factory equipped with a manual trans cooler, the diesels dont, same trans.

I may add one to mine to increase the fluid capacity, but heat really isnt the thing that killed it. The trans was junk when i first installed it, but it moved so i ran it i actually had a conversation with pete before i left about it being in bad shape. Howver there wasnt enough time to order a new one and install, and it didnt seem to be getting worse, so we chanced it.

Quote Originally Posted by expeditionnw View Post
    Mines a manual trans. Oddly, the v8 gas trucks come factory equipped with a manual trans cooler, the diesels dont, same trans.

I may add one to mine to increase the fluid capacity, but heat really isnt the thing that killed it. The trans was junk when i first installed it, but it moved so i ran it i actually had a conversation with pete before i left about it being in bad shape. Howver there wasnt enough time to order a new one and install, and it didnt seem to be getting worse, so we chanced it.
    Ah got it. Never even crossed my mind that there was a manual in your rover. What is a manual tranny anyhow?
    Cameron

This is such an epic trip report! It inspires me to consider planning a trip to Alaska for my next sabbatical.
    ~Rodney
    '05 LJ Rubicon. 3.75" suspension + 1.25" body lift with Currie adjustable links tuned to fit 35" MTRs.