Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Project Recyle: 1994 Mild Build

Web Wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by AEV_LJ View Post
    Nice! That looks like a different truck! Have you considered buying or building some spacers for the rear coils? I know they make polyurethane spacers that are an inch or an inch and a half if that's sufficient.
    Rodney you are a genius, i totally brain cramped spacers. I just checked, 4Wheel parts has a spacer in stock so I will head out there tomorrow and pick up a set.
    Thanks!!
    robb

1994 4Runner - Work In Progress aka: project Recycle

Wheel Responsibly

Nice! Impressive change. It looks like your shackle angle is a bit steep: http://www.gitout.com/wpblog/leaf-sp...shackle-angle/

Does it rub when suspension is compressed? It seems that the front hanger could move forward an inch or so. Is the bump stop compressing against the spring?

Great to see the progress. You're ahead of me.
    2016 Toyota Tundra DC Limited - Icon, Deaver, and Hawk FWC. (45k happy miles)
    1998 Tacoma - 37s, ARBs, Cases and Blower.

-Peter

Web Wheeler
    Yep Peter, as mentioned in the post a set of Sky's boomerang shackles are enroute to address that. With the design of the integrated steering box mount in the frame plates I used that was pretty much where the box had to go.
    It needs some fine tuning but should be ready for some wheeling soon.

edit- bumps stops may get swapped out, they are supposed to be a progressive bump stop so will give them a shot. I have the bump stops from the trekker I can replace them with. I haven't cycled the suspension yet, steering arm to oil pan clearance it tight. I will throw the 2WD pan on this week
    Last edited by dropzone; 04-19-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    robb

Wheel Responsibly

Will be fun to get out on the trail with you. I'll have the Taco ready in June.

-Peter

Web Wheeler
    added a 1.25" spacer to the rear, amazon had it here in a day

having a 35" spare was blocking the rear receiver

so a little slice, dice and splice

clears fine now

it is bolted and welded.

i'll probably end up going to a bumper mounted swing out down the road, still have the swing out mount from the Trekker that could be tweeked and used again
    robb

Wheel Responsibly

Web Wheeler
    ran into a snag on getting my rear driveshaft in, could have sworn my 5.29 third had a triple drilled flange.
    Nope so ordered a 10mm drill bit and rotated the driveshaft a few degrees and drilled the flange myself.
    Rear shocks finally arrived too so got everything buttoned up last night. Drove it, 1st impressions is that I really want to convert to rear leaf springs sooner than later. The tall rear coils are allow for some leaning in the corners.
    Going to pull a couple of front leafs up front to see how much that lowers it and pull the coil spacers to even it out.
    Drove it about 30 miles between yesterday and today, took a little while getting use too but it should be very capable.

*With the 35's and 5.29's the speedo seems dead on. *Decent power. *I will confirm with my GPS how accurate the speedo is.
    Last edited by dropzone; 05-07-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    robb

Wheel Responsibly

That 4Runner has come a long way. Lookin' good man!
    2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad - Project Baby Hauler
    2003 Mitsubishi Montero - Gitout.com - Ultimate Expedition Build
    (This space waiting to be filled with another Rodeo)

Web Wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodeoclown View Post
    That 4Runner has come a long way. Lookin' good man!
    Thanks, slowly but surely getting there

swapped out the Trail-Gear shackles that were pretty close to hitting the front body mount with the truck sitting still

shackle angle was pretty crappy due to using this X-O Fab frame brace with integrated steering box mount, with it you are limited to how far forward you can push the front spring hanger as the steering box mounts in the stock location. *

it will be interesting to see how the Sky's Delrin spacers treat the spring bushings, with the steel spacers provided by trail-gear the bushings don't have a steller service life.

Sky's Off Road Boomerang shackles installed
    robb

Wheel Responsibly

Your ride height looks great for solid axle on 35s. What is your frame to ground height?

-Peter

Web Wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by venturer View Post
    Your ride height looks great for solid axle on 35s. What is your frame to ground height?
    Thanks, I wouldn't mind getting it a couple of inches lower though at some point. Not sure of the ride height, I'll check it when i get off work in a few hours

did this junk on friday:
    after having a spring time flu I finally felt up to getting vertical and had some time so tackled replacing the master cylinder and brake booster
    when you are short like me this thing from Harbor Freight comes in handy

the hitch mounted vice has been proving it's worth a lot lately. *Bench bleeding the master cylinder went off with out any issues

When i pulled the old master cylinder there was quite a bit of corrosion inside the brake diaphragm *it so I went ahead and replaced it too.*

instead of doing the usual zip tying the LSPV rod up out of the way I went with a small bracket idea that [MENTION=134144]1UZrunner[/MENTION] had mentioned works like a charm

with pretty much all new brake parts with the exception of the backing plates and hard lines the 4runner stops on a dime now.
    robb

Wheel Responsibly