Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Project Recyle: 1994 Mild Build

That looks really good! Will the color hold up well? Had some color matched Line-x fenders and the color faded. Would love a durable coating that holds it's color. Tried of worrying about scratches.
    2009 Hummer H3 Championship Edition, 5.3l V-8, 6 speed auto, front and rear e-lockers, leveled, oem rock sliders, KMW skid plates, low profile rear leaf spring plates, Purple Cranium rear diff cover, 35" Cooper Discover STT Pro's, KMW Expedition roof rack, Thorparts gen II winch bumper, Warn Zeon 10k winch w/ Masterpull synthetic winch line

2006 Hummer H3 SOLD

Monstaliner is UV stable. My old Montero still looks good after about 3 years. My Taco coating is less than a year old but still looks the same.
    2010 Winnie View - Tuned, 31" Duratrac, 2" Lift, ARB Dual Compressor, 920W Solar, Compressor Fridge/Freezer
    1998 Tacoma - 37s, ARBs, Dual Cases and Blower.
    1998 Ravi - Manual, 2DR, Convertible!

-Peter

Quote Originally Posted by H3slate View Post
    That looks really good! Will the color hold up well? Had some color matched Line-x fenders and the color faded. Would love a durable coating that holds it's color. Tried of worrying about scratches.
    Quote Originally Posted by venturer View Post
    Monstaliner is UV stable. My old Montero still looks good after about 3 years. My Taco coating is less than a year old but still looks the same.
    Peter's experience is one of the reason I went this route. Didn't realize you had also done the montero.
    Monstaliner has one of the better reputations for this sort of coating. I had used a rattle can liner on the Trekker and it was crap. I ended up painting over it was some regular desert camo rattle can.

Putting the wipers, spoiler etc back on I got side tracked and decided to play with laying stuff out on the roof rack.* *The only permanent fixture I think will be the small storage box up front.**
    2c97df9dee204ba87d82fee25da79637.jpg
    robb

1994 4Runner - Work In Progress aka: project Recycle

Wheel Responsibly

Putting that much gas up on the roof could be problematic. Had ten gallons up on the roof of my 4Runner and it got a bit top heavy.
    Larrie
    "A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points but it is by no means the most interesting." Jon Pertwee, as Dr. Who in The Time Warrior.

Current project - 1943 Willys MB, this is going to take a while.
    Solo travel and daily driver - 2004 Toyota 4Runner
    Extended trips with family - 2002 Ford E350 with CCV top and home built interior

Quote Originally Posted by Luinil View Post
    Putting that much gas up on the roof could be problematic. Had ten gallons up on the roof of my 4Runner and it got a bit top heavy.
    Thanks for the heads up

Got some fiberglass flares installed yesterday that I had bought a year or so ago .
    Screenshot_2018-06-10-07-03-26-1.jpg
    Studio_20180610_070517.jpg
    robb

Wheel Responsibly

Looking good! I heard something about some spacer studs??
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"

Quote Originally Posted by cjsrebiff View Post
    Looking good! I heard something about some spacer studs??
    IMG_20180609_200416_235.jpg
    Yep. One of my 10-12 year old wheel spacers sheared a couple of studs. Can't complain since it had been on both trucks.
    Had to dig in the garage for the spare.
    A 1.5" spacer is need to help make the 79-85 front axle width match the 86-95 rear axle WMS to WMs width
    robb

Wheel Responsibly

What do you think made them snap? Did you strong arm them?
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"

Quote Originally Posted by cjsrebiff View Post
    What do you think made them snap? Did you strong arm them?
    Dunno, I always hand tighten lugs 1st when putting them on just because I crossthreaded some back in my VW high school days.
    Driver's side came of no problem. These were the first 2 on passenger side.
    No clue..
    I had rotated the tires around Christmas and don't recall any issues..
    robb

Wheel Responsibly

A week or so I notice a few drops of oil under the 4runner, not enough to be really worried but I had an idea in the back of my head of what the source could be. popped the hood, engine pretty clean, no smoking gun.

Looked at what i was afraid it could be and sure enough it was from the high steer steering rod hitting the oil pan.
    oilpan leak by ocdropzone, on Flickr

On late 1st gen and all 2nd gen 4runners or 3rd gen trucks with the 3.0 V6 you are supposed to swap to a 96-98 T100 2WD 3.4l rear sump oil pan...Unless you push your axle forward. I used a frame brace that had the IFS box mount integrated in the stock location so the axle couldn't really be pushed forward a whole lot before I would end up with the steering rods binding when flex.
    I had sort of rolled the dice even though I had been sitting on the all the parts for a year.
    Anyway sure enough the source of my leak was a small crack in the oil pan
    oilpan crack by ocdropzone, on Flickr
    stock 3vze oil pan clearance
    oilpan stock clearance by ocdropzone, on Flickr

started the swap on sunday, all is going well
    bottom end with 205k on it
    oil pan removed by ocdropzone, on Flickr

got the deep rear sump and windage tray installed
    oil deep rear sump installed by ocdropzone, on Flickr

slap some RTV on the new oilpan...and crap it doesn't fit. Look at the part number, it's for a 2WD 3.0 oilpan, it isn't deep enough. Fudge.
    start looking online for the correct 96-98 2wd 3.4L T100 pan...it will be at least a week to get or longer...nobody local has one in stock.
    Crap..decide to throw the part number in Amazon...whoohooo.
    They have it
    ocdropzone, on Flickr
    boom with Prime shipping i get the correct pan late tuesday
    oilpan t100 by ocdropzone, on Flickr

get the thing installed the morning of 4th of july..no leaks etc, Oil pressure actually running a little higher.
    tons of tie rod clearance
    oilpan t100 installed by ocdropzone, on Flickr

lame driveway flex shot
    flex test by ocdropzone, on Flickr
    oilpan clearance post by ocdropzone, on Flickr

i have a set of shorter bump stops on order that will swap out with these Energy Suspension Progressive bumps
    progressive bump stop by ocdropzone, on Flickr

it was also a good time to replace the old Trail-Gear wheel spacers with some new Trail-gear spacers
    wheel spacers new by ocdropzone, on Flickr
    wheel spacers installed by ocdropzone, on Flickr

so last big thing so I can get this POS on the trail is to swap the transfer cases...the way I work that will probably be sometime in 2020
    robb

Wheel Responsibly