Thread: E-locker help

E-locker help

Good Morning All
    Trying to figure out what is going on with my e-locker. A couple months ago I limped my truck off TSF with a broken ring and pinion in the rear diff of my 4Runner. That was a very rough ride down as the diff broke itself to pieces. Since then I have had a reputable shop put Yukon 4.88's in get me back and running. As part of my break-in I was trying to get the diff to lock. The diff lock light on the dash flashes but never goes solid. Below are the steps I have done to check on the locker and wiring:
    1. I have applied 5.5V directly to pin 2 and 3 in the plug on the locker and the locker does engage and disengage the locker.
    2. I have run an ohm meter the length of all 7 wires from locker plug to 4wd ECU and have detected no breaks (the black one).
    3. I have verified that the 4-wheel low safety is still grounded (grey wire mod).
    4. I grounded the speed senor safety (eliminates the 5mph rule).

The locker still will not engage on its own. I cannot get the 4wd ECU to meet all of its conditions and send the 5.5V to the locker. That is where I need your help - what other safeties or conditions exist? Should I just replace the 4wd ECU, or am I missing something?

I'm happy to post wiring schematics if anyone needs them?
    1997 4Runner
    -KG7ZHS

Hi Geoff!
    My first thought is, does your stock locker mate with the new 4.88 gears? Or does it matter?
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"

If i'm understanding correctly, you're not getting volts from your diff lock button to the locker.
    Is that correct???
    or
    is the locker getting power but not locking???

My locker sometimes does not engage until i get some tire slip
    2019 yamaha wolverine x2 r spec
    4wd with locking diffs
    29s with matching spare!!!
    winch on the way

tow rig
    1995 dodge 4x cummins

Thanks gents - the locker itself seems to be working fine and will engage and lock the rear diff if I apply voltage directly to it. It seems to be the brain/ecu that is having the issues. When I press the lock button the ECU shuts off the ABS and the diff light on the dash starts blinking, but no matter what I do it won't complete the cycle and send the voltage to the locker itself. I've tried all sorts of maneuvering of the vehicle (forward, backward, 4wd high/low, neutral).
    I even went so far as to run a long set of wire from the locker itself to the cab. If I apply voltage it will lock the diff while in motion and remain locked.

I put the vehicle up on jack-stands so I could move the rear tires all around to simulate slip. Still nothing.

I'm going to go out to Pick-a-part after work tonight and see if I can find a 4wd ECU....if not SOLV will be run redneck style with the direct wires!
    Last edited by geohil; 04-18-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    1997 4Runner
    -KG7ZHS

I do not recommended goin direct wires.
    I don't believe the locker motor knows by itself to "stop engaging".
    Look into that thought before you ruin the actuator
    2019 yamaha wolverine x2 r spec
    4wd with locking diffs
    29s with matching spare!!!
    winch on the way

tow rig
    1995 dodge 4x cummins

Cant you just ad a switch for "on and off". It seems simple enough. That is what I did on the Rubicon. Bypassed the system and put a toggle switch for front and back below the dash.
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"

Checked all fuses??
    Is there a position switch on the rear e-lock armature (check it if so?). Not sure what locker light just blinks means in a 4R, but my LC means "not yet engaged" as if the 4x4 ECU is waiting for a position switch to activate first. On this same note, If 4x4 high / low switch is faulty, I don't think the grey wire mod would work anyways.. What year 4R?
    Tyler
    93' FJZ80 - Toyota Land Cruiser
    TLCA Member

I think a guy over at T4R.org found the culprit. There is a limit switch in the diff itself that tells the ECU if the locker is engaged or disengaged. Mine is more than likely either damaged from all the metal banging around in the diff, or out of adjustment.
    I'll check that out tonight.
    1997 4Runner
    -KG7ZHS