Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interest check - HAM practical help & general familiarization

Interest check - HAM practical help & general familiarization

I really want people to start using HAM so we can stop with the CBs. Seriously, CBs have such a short range in the hills & trees that they're **** near useless. Plus, HAM has so many cool things. I use a MobilinkD thing to connect to my android and broadcast my location even without cell service. It's really easy to get a license and not have any practical knowledge, which mostly describes me. I want to learn more about my radio and common stuff like connecting to repeaters, and I think others would benefit from some knowledge sharing. I know there are people in the group who know a lot more than me and wouldn't mind sharing.

Who would be interested in being a learner or teacher for such a thing? Should we include some wheeling or just meet someplace and tinker? I'd be happy to share what I've learned about APRS and stuff, and it'd be great to build everyone's skill level. Also, if the whole SHTF or a natural disaster hits, the cell coverage will be the first to go and this could be an extremely valuable skill to have.

2014 Wrangler Rubicon 2dr
    Gradual de-stocking: skid plates, rock hard front bumper, smitty winch.

I like the idea. Got my license two years ago. Only use it when we are traveling with a group. Would like to get more practice with it.
    Larrie
    "A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points but it is by no means the most interesting." Jon Pertwee, as Dr. Who in The Time Warrior.

Current project - 1943 Willys MB, this is going to take a while.
    Solo travel and daily driver - 2004 Toyota 4Runner
    Extended trips with family - 2002 Ford E350 with CCV top and home built interior

Im in Dave. This is a great idea.
    -Lance
    --Red FJ
    ---KG7ZZB

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by thedave View Post
    Should we include some wheeling or just meet someplace and tinker?
    I'm good with either, but I it will useful to have cell phone service (read internet access) wherever we are tinkering. It will make it easier to share notes on web sites with repeater maps, software, etc if we can surf on our phones a bit.

Also we should meet in a spot with good reception to at least 1 public repeater. It would be a good exercise to show how to set up a radio for tx/rx on different frequencies for a repeater. If I remember, I'll get CHIRP set back up on my laptop and we can do some radio memory programming.
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ - 4" Superlift + 1" BL, Currie CAs, 4:1 T-Case, OX locked HP30 front with OX locked 8.8 rear, 35" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, Color: TBD, maybe I'll keep it clean enough that you can tell. Maybe not!

I am interested in this. I have a friend who may be able to instruct on some practical application as well, rather than the dark nerd information found in most of what is out there.

CB is easy but the benefits end there. I'd be game to meet up and learn more. My ham radio knowledge is fairly limited. It's amazing how little practical information the license test offers.
    2010 Winnie View - Tuned, 31" Duratrac, 2" Lift, ARB Dual Compressor, 920W Solar, Compressor Fridge/Freezer
    1998 Tacoma - 37s, ARBs, Dual Cases and Blower.
    1998 Ravi - Manual, 2DR, Convertible!

-Peter

I'd be interested. Got a radio that looks really cool in my dash but it would be nice if it was useful, legally, too.

Vinnie mentioned CHIRP. For those of you that do not know this program it allows you to program stations into your radio from your computer. Works on Mac, Windows, and Linux.

Another good resource is the Repeter Book website. The link will land you on the Oregon page that shows the repeaters in Oregon, their frequency and location. Handy information if you are traveling around the state or around the world. They also have an app that loads on your smart phone that list the repeaters within a 50 or more mile radius of your location.
    Larrie
    "A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points but it is by no means the most interesting." Jon Pertwee, as Dr. Who in The Time Warrior.

Current project - 1943 Willys MB, this is going to take a while.
    Solo travel and daily driver - 2004 Toyota 4Runner
    Extended trips with family - 2002 Ford E350 with CCV top and home built interior

I'd like to learn more practical knowledge to. I've only connected with the repeater once and I can't tell you how I would connect to a different repeater if it had a different offset. Practical things like that would be really useful! I need to create a cheat sheet for the rare occurrences I need to do that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    ~Rodney
    '05 LJ Rubicon. 3.75" suspension + 1.25" body lift with Currie adjustable links tuned to fit 35" MTRs.

I talked with my pal and he is onboard. he uses HAM for emergency management comms. He isnt an expert but I think he has a lot of good knowledge to impart. When we pin this down i will get him there.