Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Because We Needed More LJs in the Club

Find a 44 and swap it in. May be cheaper in the long run.
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"

Man Biff’s a push over !!

When you look at the list of upgrades and add each piece and price into the equation I would personally start with a bigger base axle ... I don’t like breaking things if at all possible and I think a 44 would be much more practickle , even in stock form a 44 is stronger ..
    Your never really done but testing and modifying is all part of the fun !!

We like challenges , if not life would be boring ...

Walking away for the night sometimes helps ...

Trail Leader
    Some updates to the plan. I'm going to stick with my 27 spline axles. Found some people who like to beat on their HP30 and after breaking multiple 27 spline chromoly axles, upgraded to 30 spine, and while still rare, they started breaking ring & pinions. So that leads me to think the right balance in 27 spine chromoly. This removes the costs to modify my OX and don't need new axles. Just u-joints since I killed them getting them out on the trail. Also seems the sleeves and C gussets are more JK problem than a TJ problem, so I'm thinking I'll skip that too.

Brings the plan to $80 for the housing, $550 for gears, $75 for cryto, and some u-joints, done. So less than $750.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsrebiff View Post
    Find a 44 and swap it in. May be cheaper in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradzuzu View Post
    When you look at the list of upgrades and add each piece and price into the equation I would personally start with a bigger base axle ... I donít like breaking things if at all possible and I think a 44 would be much more practickle , even in stock form a 44 is stronger ..
    Quote Originally Posted by venturer View Post
    Just as going to a built 44 would be invincible with 35s. Question is... are you feeling like doing trail repairs or wrench in the garage?? Risk/Reward
    You guys are super optimistic about the availability of front D44. Rubicon TJ D44 are available (still gotta look hard), but they almost always sell in pairs. Almost no such thing as someone willing to sell just 1 because they sell like hot cakes in pairs. Likely the only way to buy a front one would be to buy both for call it $5k and sell my 8.8. They will probably be 4.10s. Then all the D30 costs I listed above apply after buying the D44, but I'd also have to regear both front & rear, would need new chromoly axles in the front (which I'm now avoiding), and would have 15 year old typically non-servicable stock lockers rather than my OXs.

Alternatively, I could buy an aftermarket like a G2, but with a locker, gears, etc, you are in the $4000 range. The option I know least about is tracking down a Waggy 44 and replacing all the mounts.

It would take a LOT of busted D30 axles or rings to add up to any of those direction. Story would be entirely different if I was currently starting with a fresh open D30 & D35. Or, I'd be much more enthusiastic about a D44 if I was also upgrading to 37s and putting a nice aftermarket D44 in, but then I'd be pushing its limits again. Probably start busting ball joints first, and I'd need to trip a lot of body away.
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ - 4" Superlift + 1" BL, Currie CAs, 4:1 T-Case, OX locked HP30 front with OX locked 8.8 rear, 35" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, Color: TBD, maybe I'll keep it clean enough that you can tell. Maybe not!

Logic makes sense especially for initial cost. You'd probably reduce breakage by lowering the crawl ratio too. Seems like a good route especially to minimize down time. After all the point is to go on trails.
    2010 Winnie View - Tuned, 31" Duratrac, 2" Lift, ARB Dual Compressor, 920W Solar, Compressor Fridge/Freezer
    1998 Tacoma - 37s, ARBs, Dual Cases and Blower.
    1998 Ravi - Manual, 2DR, Convertible!

-Peter

There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:

Trail Leader
    How do you put an axle with a passenger side diff in a vehicle with a driver side drop t-case like a TJ?
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ - 4" Superlift + 1" BL, Currie CAs, 4:1 T-Case, OX locked HP30 front with OX locked 8.8 rear, 35" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, Color: TBD, maybe I'll keep it clean enough that you can tell. Maybe not!

I thought he was passenger... my bad.
    barefootrunnerd:

Trail Leader
    I thought he was passenger... my bad.
    Oh well. Appreciate the thought.

Trail Leader
    Since I can't wheel, I have time on my hands for things like... shopping. Rubicon T-case. Time to go read slow.

Rubi-tcase.jpg

Not as slow as Rodney with his new 5:13's!
    96' Jeep Cherokee XJ, 4.5" LA Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT,s, Or-fab rock crawler bumper, 9500# Smittybuilt winch,

Adam/KG7ZDX