Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Because We Needed More LJs in the Club

Lol, I don't know about that. ;-) I think the 6 speed with 4.88s has a much deeper first gear than my auto.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    ~Rodney
    '05 LJ Rubicon. 3.75" suspension + 1.25" body lift with Currie adjustable links tuned to fit 35" MTRs.

Trail Leader
    lol. It's a rare day that I participate in a who can drive slower competition!!

Rodney is right though. His auto 42RLE has a 2.84 first gear, where my NSG370 has a 4.46 first gear. Which is why I frequently start in 2nd gear, otherwise I have to shift before my rear wheels exist the cross walk!
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ - 4" Superlift + 1" BL, Currie CAs, 4:1 T-Case, OX locked HP30 front with OX locked 8.8 rear, 35" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, Color: TBD, maybe I'll keep it clean enough that you can tell. Maybe not!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
    Since I can't wheel, I have time on my hands for things like... shopping. Rubicon T-case. Time to go read slow.

Attachment 12987
    Where did you get the t-case. I have been contemplating getting one.
    96' Jeep Cherokee XJ, 4.5" LA Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT,s, Or-fab rock crawler bumper, 9500# Smittybuilt winch,

Adam/KG7ZDX

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by AF96XJ View Post
    Where did you get the t-case. I have been contemplating getting one.
    Walter in Longview frequently purchase Jeeps and parts them out on Craigslist, but he has a waiting list of people interested in Rubicon t-case & D44s. He usually asks $1200-$1500 depending on the mileage. I can PM you his number or just search CL for "Jeep TJ" and he will pop up. Only guy in Longview.

While waiting on him I stalked car-part.com. Lots of guys on there asking for crazy numbers like $2k+ or they want a $500+ core (which you don't have to return), but if you call the "$Call" ones you can sometimes find people in Walter's range but you have to ship it. This is what I did. Mine came from Indiana junk yard. Car-part.com gets out of date pretty quick for the good priced ones. I called a place that had 2 listed, but both just sold, but they had another coming in in a couple days so I called back the day they got it.

205 Salvage specializes in Jeeps, but he told me they never get Rubicons in because they are too expensive even for a totaled one.
    Last edited by Vinnie; 07-20-2018 at 03:33 PM. Reason: fixed url
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ - 4" Superlift + 1" BL, Currie CAs, 4:1 T-Case, OX locked HP30 front with OX locked 8.8 rear, 35" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, Color: TBD, maybe I'll keep it clean enough that you can tell. Maybe not!

Trail Leader
    Last week, I got my HP30 back from Dan's Gears. Time for more Jeep Wheelie action! 4 wheels are over rated.

no-frontend.jpg

Back together. I reused pretty much everything from my old LP30 other than the R&P, bearings, and seals.

HP30.jpg

Tonight, I dropped my t-case. SO much easier this time with a transmission jack at my disposal.

NP231-Removed.jpg

Installed, the Rubicon t-case, and my new Rokmen skid plate. 1/4" steel and significantly better clearance. Having seen the damage I did to my skid plate this year, I think it was time.

Rokmen_Skid_Installed.jpg

Tomorrow I'll order new front drive shaft (mine was shot) and send my rear one it to be modified for the flange on the NP241OR. Still need to remove the skid to paint it, but I am travelling the rest of the week and really wanted to place the drive shaft order. I'll paint the skid while I wait.

Not looking forward to slowly breaking in the gears. I want to go play!!

Excellent progress! When is the next trip? I need to replace my driver side knuckle and should be good to roll next month. Could run up to Evans Creek??
    2010 Winnie View - Tuned, 31" Duratrac, 2" Lift, ARB Dual Compressor, 920W Solar, Compressor Fridge/Freezer
    1998 Tacoma - 37s, ARBs, Dual Cases and Blower.
    1998 Ravi - Manual, 2DR, Convertible!

-Peter

Trail Leader
    Tom Wood's guys are machines. My drive shaft seal are already in the mail! Should have them installed Monday, and then back to breaking in my gears.

I think we need to go check out Rim Butte OHV. By next month Rodney & I might have enough miles on our new gears. Also, the project work party organizer was saying theyreally need help cleaning dry brush off trails in order to be able to keep the park open during high fire season. Some cleaning, camping, and rock crawling might be in order.

I just ran some trails finally the other night so I’m pretty satisfied in the durability of my dual cases (which I’m so so happy about) , went through a couple rock gardens and ready for more (during the day )

Glad you got yours all back together !!
    Your never really done but testing and modifying is all part of the fun !!

We like challenges , if not life would be boring ...

Walking away for the night sometimes helps ...

Trail Leader
    LOL. Three years ago, I broke my rear drive shaft on the Rubicon Trail and had to limp home in FWD (via 4WD). This year, I took the LJ busted the front pinion, leaving me with only RWD. Just finished replaced the frontend & t-case requiring 2 new drive shafts. The arrived, and my HP30 in the front is alive! BUT, the rear shaft is the wrong part. SO, I got no rear power. I'm back to having a FWD Jeep again!! DOH!

Apparently it's a lot to ask to have both axles functioning at the same time.

My opinion! you should convert the Tcase rear output to yolk and ujoints instead of the driveshaft. With your lift and length of driveshaft, you might get vibes and worn out joints right there. Have you thought of that?
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"