Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Because We Needed More LJs in the Club

Trail Leader

Because We Needed More LJs in the Club

Today I picked up this fella. 2005 Jeep LJ. Just got an engine rebuild and new clutch. Never heard a 4.0L so quiet! haha. The lack of mud in the engine is not ok. Will need to be addressed asap.

fb-pic.jpg

I'm going to use the TJ as a source of upgraded parts and then sell it. So in its future, this LJ will have a Ford 8.8 with 4.88s and OX locker, and Dana 30 with 4.88 and OX locker (hasn't blown up yet!). I'll swap the Tcase to keep my SYE kit. Obviously my 35 in Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3s are coming with me. Swap the bumpers and gas tank skid. Need to get some sliders. Sad that I just put rear quarter panel armor on the TJ, and I can't take that with me. Swap my Currie steering, but I can't keep my Currie track bar. Had to widen the mount hole on the frame to install it. Adjustable control arms are comin with me, along with the springs/shocks. Need to give Tom Wood's a call for a rear drive shaft since the stock one has a SY and my TJ is a tad short.

We'll see how long it takes the wife to go from stage 1: "You're working in the garage too much" to stage 2: "Finish those **** Jeeps so I can park in the garage again!"
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ - 4" Superlift, Currie CAs, 35" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, OX Front and Rear Lockers, Color: TBD, maybe I'll keep it clean enough that you can tell. Maybe not!

Nice find!!!
    What is wrong with the front bumper on the new one?
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"

Trail Leader
    Well in the back, the LJ has a stock bumper, so taking my carrier is the important part. In the front, I'd rather keep my Warn + Synthetic line than the Smittybilt winch, and I have to take the bumper off to get to the nuts. At that point, I like those T-slots on the side of mine for Hi-lift jacking, so I might as well switch. Smittybilt bump looks fancy for the selling too. :-) Front it close to a tossup though.
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ - 4" Superlift, Currie CAs, 35" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, OX Front and Rear Lockers, Color: TBD, maybe I'll keep it clean enough that you can tell. Maybe not!

That's a great upgrade. 8yr newer and keep most of your parts. Seems like a solid plan.
    2010 Winnie View - Tuned, 31" Duratrac, 2" Lift, ARB Dual Compressor, 920W Solar, Compressor Fridge/Freezer
    1998 Tacoma - 37s, ARBs, Dual Cases and Blower.
    1998 Ravi - Manual, 2DR, Convertible!

-Peter

Nice score! Congrats!!
    -Lance
    --Red FJ
    ---KG7ZZB

Sweet always liked those LJs.
    RALLY=1000 turns 1 time on a road you have never seen.
    Nascar=1 tun 1000 times over and over.
    What would you rather do???

You are now part of a somewhat exclusive club. You have one of only 7,450 made in 2005. Soon to be one of a kind too! ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    ~Rodney
    '05 LJ Rubicon. 3.75" suspension + 1.25" body lift with Currie adjustable links tuned to fit 35" MTRs.

Its not a club Rodney, its a cult!
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"

Trail Leader
    LOL!

The big decision I need to make now is what to do with the rear end. I currently have a Ford 8.8 with an OX locker. Bigger pumpkin + deep diff cover for the cable means I have problems with the diff hitting the gas tank skid. I put in the shortest CAs I could find, and bought a Savvy skid that pushes the tank back and up and I still hit a little bit. Also, the 8.8 is c-clips. I have disk brakes so no worries about the axle wandering out, but it might not be a huge deal on an open diff or other lockers, but I can say that it was a royal royal b*tch to get the c-clips out with an OX locker in my garage. I can't imagine doing it on a trail if I bust an axle.

The LJ has a limited slip D44, though the gears are wrong 3.73, which may be an opportunity. For about $1900 I could install an Eaton eLocker and 4.88 gears and keep it in the LJ. Also means the TJ I sell will have an OX 8.8 rather than LS D44. After I swap the front end, I'll have a D30-3.73 and 8.8-4.88 in the TJ, so I'll have to regear one. I could regear the D30 to 4.88, sell my 33s on CL and buy used 35s on CL.

Probably cost me $2100. No c-clips and no more crowding, and the TJ I try and sell would be on 35s with a rear locker, tube fenders, body armor, slide rails, 4" lift, and SYE.

Thoughts on whether I come away ahead? Some say the 8.8 is a tad stronger, but practically speaking, am I likely to do something that will break the D44 but wouldn't have broken the 8.8?

Isn't the Dana44 8.5" ring gear? I know there are differences in the gear thickness between years.

It would be less work to sell your TJ with the axles under it. And you might get extra money from it. I'd have a hard time putting $$ into the Dana30 and all the work of swapping between rigs. Why not find some Rubicon axles and swap in? Rodney has had good luck with his. There are people pulling them (even new) for fancy Dana60s and custom stuff. May score a deal on something. And many of the Rubicon axles come with 4.10 gears (save costs).

Just thinking less work and better end result both for your sale and new rig.
    2010 Winnie View - Tuned, 31" Duratrac, 2" Lift, ARB Dual Compressor, 920W Solar, Compressor Fridge/Freezer
    1998 Tacoma - 37s, ARBs, Dual Cases and Blower.
    1998 Ravi - Manual, 2DR, Convertible!

-Peter