Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 99 trooper build with all the goodies !!

My 99 trooper build with all the goodies !!

So it started out as a $50 purchase

The day I got it , pretty much in the same spot as the other one was originally ha !!

Cheap purchases are good and all until you start investigating WTF the previous owners did trying to fix or repair said vehicle...

Funny part is I couldnít wait to get it off the trailer to see the sawzal damage done to the dash (in and attempt to get to the heater core)

I had to tear the whole thing apart but the bonus of that was I was able to start over with the interior meaning I chose to pull everything out and clean it from bottom to halfway up lol

Atleast in these they use real carpet with padding adhered to the underside so I was able to hit with degreaser cleaner spray and pressure wash it.. Kind of made me excited to put it back together (which eventually did happen)
    Your never really done but testing and modifying is all part of the fun !!

We like challenges , if not life would be boring ...

Walking away for the night sometimes helps ...

It needed some love

Looks like a dead animal hide !!

Cleaners and more cleaners to the rescues !! I didnít actually start in the interior till after revamping the suspension and that was the obvious turning point that this was going to be my new rig (the amigo got disassembled for all if itís parts and I mean all)

I was happy how clean the carpeting turned out to be too !!

Hereís the initial reason the trooper had givin up the ghost , that and after pulling the old motor and checking the timing belt (I had tried cranking it over but it sounded funky) the belt was busted ..

De comishcoed !!

Hereís the sawzal damage , not only did they cut the structure of the dash but yarded on it bending some of the main brackets and crossmembers (taking a courtesy brake to remind myself it only cost $50) It took a little time refitting everything but in the end it went back together nicely and the outer trim bezel covers and adds extra strength to the cut plastic ... It did seem like the job was going to be a never ending one since I chose to tear apart pretty much every section (ac condenser housing and clean it all up too) fortunately itís a vehicle that only has so many components and once you get to the end itís all reverse order ... Unless youíre building something more than just a pavement princess that is (we all want our rigs to perform well on the highway too make no mistake)..

As I mentioned I used everything possible from the amigo

The late model troopers have an extra large 12 bolt rear axle , theyíre nice and beefie but the only gear ratio is 4:30ís .. The amigo I had referred to 4:88ís so naturally I started on the easy ER END first ...

I ended up cutting everything off because the mounts where placed inset more on the troooers axle , this did give me the opportunity to adjust and fiddle with mounts that a lift would normally require further modification so win win !!

Hereís one of the first pics I took on the first trail in Moab

I guess you can see these ponds from space , theyíre dyed blue to help them evaporate the chemicals that the mine extracts , kind of a neat FYI ..

Back to the build

Two days worth of test fitting and resetting everything the rear axle was ready for reinstalling !! And to think I thought that was a job and a half ... Trust me this was a labor of love at every corner and a few choice words where used periodically to remind said project just how special it going to be ...

The initial ride height , I positioned the axle an extra inch back to accomadate fender room and potentially bigger tires , trying to think ahead ya know ..

Next !!!

The other end

I had a new design in mind for the front , this time around I wanted to go with radius arms

Hereís a much up with a second axle and a set of factory arms , I had my own plan on design which gave more adjustability ..

For the cost of two sets I was surprised they let them get rusted up

Hand build it my mind said , fun it will be my mind also said ... Ok it was a fun project but the hell if Iíd want to build these everyday !!

Then this part !! Cutting unbolting and grinding YUCK !!

Im confused Brad. So you had the white one (the one that took flight) then you built another, and this is a 3rd? Or isnthis one still the 2nd one.? Help!?
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"

By big knarly chunks of in my way junk !!

Stock bushings for the win !!

Axle put under the trooper for the first time !! This was where I was thinking I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel ..

Getting it set for my auto cad tools

See !! Auto cardboard tools

Once I tacked everything in place I could do a little testing , this is always beneficial to stoke the fire to keep going !!

I pushed the front axle forward about an inch and a half with this build , because figuring out the steering comes next and why make it easy ...

My goals this time where also to get as much travel and flex as possible , there again steering , away bar , um engine (whereís the **** engine silly)

I figured go for maximum and adjust down from there , in the end it was a good plan and I didnít have to compromise much at all..

Knowing the past setups with the Isuzu steering box and the expense of other steering boxes I shopped a little and found that a ford steering box (pretty much the same one used in all fords great and small) was a good option ...

Looks so happy just hangin there.. Engine !! Must remember an engine will need to go in there too !!

A little trimming

A little more

Getting ugly !!

Always make sure you add a half inch extra if at all possible

Ran outta room !!

As I said before leave clearance !!

So now I had the location of the box figured but alas I cut the frame to put it there BOO !!

I donít know if youíd call this reverse engineering or what but if I didnít figure something out I was hosed !!

Once the box was fixed and stationary I could test the turning radius and makes double triple sure it was going to do its job ..

Left right left , some of you know that drill All to well !!

This is a rather substantial section of frame (it takes allot of stress) so I wanted to make sure I rebuilt it adiquitely ..

I knew it was strong but I wasnít liking the big ol ugliness of it

Back to the auto cardboard designing

Still a monstrausity but cleaner and with the outer plating even stronger by design ...

After that chore was over and done with the more interesting part was about to happen !!

More auto cardboard boo !! Forgot about that but my pictures didnít ..

For the benifit of my blood pressure I started on the easier side with the spring purch , it makes sense in my mind lol

It seems like a painstaking process seeing this Iím sure , seriously though I knew how I wanted it , how to improve on it and shucks I wasnít even done yet .. lots and lots of work and many hours involved for sure ..

Quote Originally Posted by cjsrebiff View Post
    Im confused Brad. So you had the white one (the one that took flight) then you built another, and this is a 3rd? Or isnthis one still the 2nd one.? Help!?
    This trooper is my build using the amigo (white rig) parts , it’s the third Isuzu I’ve built for myself ... It gave me the working room for the fuel transfercases !! I just haven’t gotten to that part of the build yet

And now I have two troopers Haha !!

Hereís my twins

I gave it a make over that was quicker and easier

Needed a new engine , fortunately the crank out of the engine from the big trooper was still good !!

Geez... my brain hurts...
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"

Another Moab pic

Good at posing

First test holding itís own weight !! Minus the engine , trany , radiator , junk , more junk , and after all that a bumper and winch (that comes later)

It was good progress as far as I was concerned ..

Had to play but in doing so popped a couple tack welds DOH !!

This is where I really was liking the new suspension

Look at that droop !!

This is where I figured out the shock mounts and most amount of travel travel I could obtain .. Bump stops ?? Hell the motors not even in yet bro !!

Before I could safely put her down on all fours I needed to build lower coil mounts , round plate with a center locating tube/pipe and that part was checked off ..

Good heigth for now

It was becoming something finally to admire

I think I took this showing all the finish welding on the inboard side , canít complain about the empty engine bay what so ever !!

Steering mock-up looked good , I still hadnít put in the desired and most likely needed body lift quite yet ..
    The two steps forward one step back situation showing itís annoying self again .. Labor of love for my $50 dollar car , yeah back at you you pain in the ass thatís all my doing ha !!

A fella might ask why that rubber puck has a rough spot , one might reply that he tried his luck with a wood chip saw and it ripped it right out of his hand and almost got ones hand (never again will that test be undergone) ..

I had mentioned the steering looking good right ..

Body lift struggles

All I wanted and needed to do was press that joint back onto the steering shaft , you know cars have this collapsible steering colum from the factory so the harder I tried getting that sucker on the end of the shaft , the further that little ****ing thing scooted up into the housing , NOT WINNING !!

Of course if you pull the whole assembly out of the vehicle there is a way to fix all that (the never ending this leads to that and more parts need to get pulled , really gets old at times)..

In being so close to the bearing though having it removed to weld was probly not a bad thing ..

While doing/redoing the steering system I finish welded the coil buckets and shock tower mounts , still benificial having an empty engine bay ... I also worked out the brake system revamp (dumped the abs junk) and bent up the hard lines all nice and purdy .. These are the little things that KILL !! Something I knew going into this different platform of frame design I lost almost 2Ēs of frame width up front , my only concern was the bigger exhaust for the turbo system .. That narrower frame makes for more room for the coils and shocks though so trade for trade ..

Canít fit pic

If you look close youíll see the round T fitting that splits the front hard lines , this worked out great this time around keeping everything neat and clean..

Canít fit pic

This rig was an auto so I had saved the pedals from the amigo , the clutch lever worked out fine , the brake lever not so much so I ended up cutting down the larger pedal and reusing the amigo rubber pad , I was getting to the point of needing the drivetrain installed .. I mentioned dual transfercases , the amigo didnít have room for this , I built the housings roughly two years prior to starting this project so the Powertrain part (another project in itself) was about to go down ..