Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 99 trooper build with all the goodies !!

Your never really done but testing and modifying is all part of the fun !!

We like challenges , if not life would be boring ...

Walking away for the night sometimes helps ...

Funny story , all this junk goes somewhere in the car !!

Not only working underneath and up front but front to back on the inside , in theory it keeps the process flowing in a better direction so youíre not constantly moving things out of your way ...

Clean working environment minus not knowing where all the screws will go cause half of it was torn apart previously my saving grace was lots of extra spare parts from previous vehicles

The carpet was all clean and awaiting to get stuffed back in so that was one plus , I needed any easy jobs I could take ...

In order to finish the front to back cleaning I had to to the front to back installation , hence carpet back .. i just didnít want to get it dirty while I worked on it , catch 22 !!

The endless shuffling , yet like everything else thereís only so much to do and itís finally crossed off the list..

I did find this nasty spill hidden under the back carpet

One last picture of the toasted heater core , thing was deader than dead , FYI you canít get one for a trooper any longer or theyíre super expensive .. This is for a late model rodeo and easy to come by ..

And one last look of the amigo chassi as I stripped it of its beautiful parts to build a better version ..

The headgaskets where both blown , not sure if I ever posted about blowing the radiator one late night taking a corner and punching it but Iím pretty sure those chain of events where what started it all (probly drive it over a year after that incident having strange overheating issues randomly even with the new custom radiator from Macs)

If you look close you can see the water jacket section is ballooned !!

The heads and block needed some major reworking so I carefully used a long board sander and resurfaced everything finishing it off with a hand sander ...

Iím guessing I did the motor prior to working in the trooper just so that part would be checked off the list and ready for install , been a while in the making ya know ..

The next phase

The transmission dual case setup !!

Lucky for me a friend of mine gave me a couple early auto tcases a few months prior so along with all the other parts I had a hord stash ... Originaly I figured Iíd have to run 2:1:1 low drive gears in the front case and my 2:66:1ís in the back case .. Then it dawned on me that if I where to pull down another auto case (had to anyway to switch out for my gears) (I think anyway) I could put a ratio of 2:26:1 in the front case to go along with the 2:66ís , cool beans !!

Bonus , I was able to put synchros into the front box (that in itself is super convenient).. If I couldíve acquired one more set of synchros I could have installed them into the auto case as well but sadly I didnít have the right sizes so I just put it together without.. another FYI auto cases donít come with synchros but the gears themselves are machined for them (just something Isuzu didnít do)..

I think I can !!

Glorious !!

Hereís the auto trans setup out of my trooper

Length wise itís close

I only had to take 4Ēs out of the amigo driveshaft !!

Needless to say this platform (frame design) works really good and is better (structurally) than the amigos crumple zone cheesy poof frame setup ..

Sure glad I extended the rear tcases shifter assembly , that put it right up in the access hole ..

Next part of that conglomeration was front driveline angle , clearance and crossmember modification followed by enforcing the radius arm mounts (still tack welded) ...

I went for maximum down travel clearance and hoped it would be enough , looks buchered huh lol

I hoped that if I stared it down it would weld itself ,, NOT !!!

Slicing and dicing ..

Finished product

The front driveline angle rocks this time around with the dual cases and the length is awesome for the suspension articulation .. Next step/phase will be engine & turbo !!

That is alot! How log of a timeline has this been?
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"

Great to see the build picture progression! You went overboard on everything for sure. So, are you keeping the turbo motor? Or more power?
    2010 Winnie View - Tuned, 31" Duratrac, 2" Lift, ARB Dual Compressor, 920W Solar, Compressor Fridge/Freezer
    1998 Tacoma - 37s, ARBs, Dual Cases and Blower.
    1998 Ravi - Manual, 2DR, Convertible!

-Peter

Timeline wise ?? I was making leaps and bounds and then it slowed down a bit after getting it home .. I’d say 6-7 months worth and it was movable under its own power , once I got it home (had to of been winter time) I was wiring in the fic8 in the garage with a heater sitting in the cab so I didn’t freeze to death ..

Pete I’m not sure yet , I just switched the maf to the blowthrough side and it’s staying more consistent now , mpg wise about the same I think ... Really isn’t lacking in the power department , possibly when the motor gives up I’ll make a decision then (I miss the rumble of a v8) ...

After getting the trans and crossmember figured out it was time to finish weld and enforce the other components

Something else on the burner was the boost making device , although Iím not sure the old Cummins one is toast (the exhaust turbin was coked up from coolant exiting the exhaust) the turbin impeller looked ugly.. I had this older t4 sitting in my parts for many moons so naturally (since itcdidnt have a built in wastegate) I thought to myself I need more headaches

Manifold was needing a new flange mount for the older style and a better tighter angle (remember narrower frame and most likely fender clearance as well)

Plus a change on the down pipe connection ...

Still a good sized impeller (hoping it would be even more efficient with the 3.5)

Bonus of the smaller turbo , left me slightly more working room under the hood , it was a good thing too!!

It was finally time to drop the motor in , I say that but in reality I probly test fit the dumb thing a dozen times DOH !!

That donít look right :/

This still donít look right

Modification (more powwa) till it fits/works/functions/pisses you off FOR THE WIN !!

The drivers side looked good room wise atleast ..

I was nervous test fitting the ac pump but like I mentioned before , when in doubt add an extra 1/2Ē if you can ..

Figuring out the plumbing for the ford steering box

Brazing comes in handy !!

Back in the turbo side I fitted the down pipe and redid the routing of the brake lines (they looked good before but I put them square in the way of the turbo) Chris would insert ďDERPĒ right about now ..

By the looks of the picture I had the interior put back in , ac and heater core where All hooked up ..

I think I reworked the fuel hard lines from the troopers auto trans setup , I still had to rout to the back which would require going up and over the exhaust and driveshaft (not a pleasant thought)..

I took breaks from the tedious stuff and did more obvious to the point projects such as the front driveshaft , I used dom to keep the diameter small for maximum clearance (trying to think ahead)

Looks gooder !!

Removed some unnessisary wiring that just added to a conglomeration

I also removed the interior airbag wiring to ease some of the mess

Rear driveline was by far the easiest part , cut apart , press back together , test fit , tack and use a dial indicator while itís mounted up to keep it true and finish weld ..

Meanwhile I had been working on wiring pinouts for the new dash/instrument panel I bought

Just a simple little plug with a billion wires , well two plugs , that just doubled my pleasure !!

This hole,port,missing lead, sure caused me grief !!

Brand new dash panel assembly !!

Hereís the irony , I didnít have good gauges in the amigo and this trooper was the same way , no voltage gauge or oil pressure gauge .. The irony ?? My new twin trooper is a factory five speed which is rare and it came with all this factory (imagine how much easier my wiring harness above and below the truck wouldíve been) ... The other irony , I threw away all the ifs parts (and front bumper) about a week and a half prior to getting it , and I couldíve used several things !! Iíll probly stay mad about that for a few years ...

Couple things I fought with , I had a loose wire (pin connector) that was a main ground , it was one of the first wire pins I removed before getting better at not malforming the innards of the ittibitty things , every time I put the dash in the lights would go out (frutrastion at its finest) , finally figured out what was going on there and the next issue that took a few days to desipher the WHY was the blinkers ... After double triple checking wiring and pinouts and color codes a checked one other thing... that plug !! It goes to the hazard light switch and it just happened to match one other plug right next to it (makes me mad because all the other plugins and switches would only match up with there one location but not this little turd ) , ha now the blinkers worked ... After getting the motor running I had no oil pressure reading (the other other plug missing itís wire) the orange screwdrivers pointing at it ... tracing it out it ran through the engine harness , ran through the harness from engine plugs to firewall , but , not from firewall to dash of all things ... Needles to say I had another harness to steal the correct colored wire and terminalís from so somewhat plug and play once it was determined what the issue was ..

The exhaust was a nice break from that fiasco

I also fabbed up a new innercooler Mount

Of course the inner needed the ports modified again , this was good , the new system crosses from passenger to drivers side instead of looping back in making everything a major headache ..

Trust me the pain and suffering wasnít over yet ..

The hoop and loop for the win , took some time and finessing

My little boy helped me bleed the brakes so actually this was itís firt time getting pulled out of the shop

And itís first walk of life

I couldnít stand not testing the flexability so up next bobcat !!

Pleasantly surprised !!

Next up , a bit of armor ..

Iíd planned on doing airbags all along , one of the reasons of going with the radius arms

Iíll explain the airbag setup later.. Onto the bumper !!

More cardboard cad !!

Taking somewhat of a shape

Big Bertha fighting me tooth and nail

Probly canít see real good in this picture but I cut out the bumper and shortened the winch stingers (high and tight)

I wanted a mean unique look with the winch removed , not that itís off very often but this leaves the setup versatile for day a different insert ..

More of a fap photo but still

Some parts of the design are straight forward while other parts leave you scratching your head for a while

Took me a few days to decide how I was going to do the front into the sides area , it worked out ... the ends , now thatís a different story , I revisited that part about a month later , I had welders block :/

When coworkers get involved things get strange Haha !!