Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aug 18-22, 2019 l Utah l MOAB!!!

Aug 18-22, 2019 l Utah l MOAB!!!

I've dreamed about going to Moab for years and it is finally moving past the dreaming phase into detailed planning! We expect to get to Maob on Saturday night Aug 17th so that we can start hitting trails on Aug 18th. We will have 5 full days in Moab to explore various trails, hike at Arches National Park, etc.

When: Sunday Aug 18th - Thurs Aug 22nd, 2019
    Destination: Moab, UT
    Meeting Time: TBD - Daily Aug 18 - Aug 22
    Meeting Place: Moab Valley RV Resort

Permits Required: None if you have an OR OHV sticker (until Jan 2020 we have Reciprocity with UT). https://site.utah.gov/stateparks/wp-...-Dec.-2018.jpg

Communication: HAM radio 146.460
    Vehicle requirements:
    - A minimum of 32″ tires & at least 1 locker (2 lockers recommended or 1 locker + traction control), tow points, skid plates, rocker panel protection and HAM Radios are mandatory requirements
    -A well kept and functioning rig, recovery gear including Tow straps, shackles, high lift etc., A FULL SIZE SPARE!!! preferably one that matches your other tires!! Means to change a flat tire, even if that is the stock bottle jack and tire iron (make sure your tire iron fits) &; spare valve stems (we lost 3 valve stems in 2017!)
    ^^PLEASE SEE ALL EVENT RULES AND REQUIRED ITEMS AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE IN YELLOW^^

Additional Requirements: Bring extra water! It will be hot and we will all need to stay hydrated. At this moment, I'm intending to bring my windows to run the AC while in the vehicle.

Trail plans: TBD - Some days will be extreme and some more scenic

Who is coming (Maximum of 8 vehicles)
    1) AEV_LJ - Rodney + my 2 daughters - Wrangler LJ on 35s
    2) Vinnie (A.K.A. the Entertainer) - Wrangler LJ...soon to be on 1 Tons & 40s
    3) Juan Wrangler TJ on 35s
    4) Dave Wrangler JK on 35s
    5) open
    6) open
    7) open
    8) open
    Last edited by AEV_LJ; 06-28-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    ~Rodney
    '05 LJ Rubicon. 3.75" suspension + 1.25" body lift with Currie adjustable links tuned to fit 35" MTRs.

Vinnie and I have booked cabins at Moab Valley RV Resort from Aug 17th - Aug 23rd.
    ~Rodney
    '05 LJ Rubicon. 3.75" suspension + 1.25" body lift with Currie adjustable links tuned to fit 35" MTRs.

I'm planning on joining you... it's possible that I might have to change plans, but I'd say it's 80% at this point.

2014 Wrangler Rubicon 2dr
    Gradual de-stocking: skid plates, rock hard front bumper, smitty winch.

That's great Dave! It is going to be an adventure, that's for sure.

Juan just told me that he's confirmed, so we may have 4 rigs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    ~Rodney

Only 8 weeks out from this epic adventure!

I'm starting to put together Trail plans. I'm thinking we should start off with some of the somewhat easier trails to get used to the traction and Terrain and then hit some of the more challenging Trails later on.

I'm also thinking of balancing long days with shorter days.

Maybe we should get our feet wet on Hell's Revenge the first day.

One of the trails I definitely want to run is Gold Bar Rim, Rusty Nail version (rated 8), which will be a long day! It includes poison spider, golden spike and gold bar rim. We'll have to get some good video at the Golden Crack.

What are the must do trails on your list?
    A great list with maps can be found here:
    https://www.rr4w.com/trails.cfm

~Rodney

The description of the "get our feet wet" trail makes me nervous!! But I'm comforted by picks with stock Jeep on it. :-)
    The first ascent offers an immediate challenge to first, get onto it, and then to overcome nervousness about the drops on both sides. The major slickrock area includes steep climbs, sharp turns, and a hair raising descent along a steep ridge with little room for error left or right. Names like "Tip Over Challenge" and "Rubble Trouble" offer an insight into challenges offered in the later portions of the trail.
    From the descriptions of some of these trails, I definitely need to take my rig out and do some off camber trails to get comfortable with whatever the new handling is. Good reason to go to the Rubicon first. :-)

Also have to say, Epic Find on that web site. What a wealth of information!
    Last edited by Vinnie; 06-24-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ on 40" MTRs. King Pin Dana 60 with RCVs. Shaved 14 bolt. ARBs. King 14" coilovers. Busted knuckle links.

Of the trails I've run my favorite so far is Metal Masher. Scenic with fun challenges and optional extreme obstacles plus some dirt tracks you can take at higher speeds.
    Another favorite is Top of the World. Amazing views and great photo op (plus the hwy drive there is really pretty too). Trail has plenty of shelves to get up/down.

A great get the feet wet trail is Fins N Things. Super fun going up and down the slick rock "fins" at severe angle.

I haven't gotten to do Hells Revenge yet, but it's definitely a must do, and I hope to run it someday; definitely some pucker factor sections.

Another one I really want to do, but haven't been able to is Elephant Hill; everyone I've talked to says it's super fun and scenic. It's in Canyonlands NP and requires permits.

The Nissan group I've gone with twice has their trail rating posted here: http://gonemoab.com/?page_id=2971
    The trail description are from RR4W, but there are some extra videos/pics.
    Last edited by orange_glo; 06-27-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    ================================================== ================================
    KG7GMP --- 2003 Nissan Xterra S/C in Atomic Orange
    3" suspension lift, 2" body lift, Total Chaos steering, Shrockworks front bumper+sliders+skids+rear bumper/tire-carrier
    ARB compressor+front locker+rear locker, Warn XD9000, 33's, 3.7:1 tcase, HAM w/ APRS, CB.

Thanks Brian! You are the second person who has recommended Metal Masher.

The view from top of the world looks amazing! Is the trail to get there fun/ challenging?

~Rodney

This Metal Masher? :-o I may need to take a careful look at my break over angles before this trip!

https://youtu.be/mG1NPrRzie4?t=405
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ on 40" MTRs. King Pin Dana 60 with RCVs. Shaved 14 bolt. ARBs. King 14" coilovers. Busted knuckle links.

If we do Metal Masher, I won't be doing those optional obstacles.

Poison Spider Mesa looks more doable & challenging to me. Just don't be like this guy who was bouncing at the 2 minute mark & flops it by about 2:45 into the video.
    ~Rodney