Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aug 18-22, 2019 l Utah l MOAB!!!

I have a couple suggestions for you guys. Rodney already pointed out that it will be hot. We were there in mid June last year and it was plenty hot for my taste. Google says August is a couple degrees hotter than June. So for those of you that donít have AC, a bikini top or full top to give you some shade is a must in my book (without windows of course). I like to run with the windshield down to get as much air flow as possible.

And as Rodney pointed out, you will want to carry extra water. My thought is to bring as much cold water as reasonably possible. I carried two 28 quart coolers that filled the space between my front seats and the rear storage box. I filled them with bottled water and ice and drank almost all of the water on the longest day. Think about Carrying extra water beyond whatís in the cooler as well.

The Red Rock 4-wheelers website looks like a great source for info on the trails. Maybe you guys already have these, but another source thatís nice to have with you on the trail is the Charles Wells Moab trail guide book . I picked up the latest version when we were down there and it has a lot of good info about most any trail you might want to run including GPS waypoints. And speaking of GPS, another option is to grab the Funtreks GPS data card that goes with the book. (if you have a Garmin GPS that takes micro SD cards, or a GPS that supports the gpx format) This will give you the routes of all the trails in the book and directions to get to them (on some models). They sold them at the campground office for $40. That would be very handy since it sounds like none of you have been there before. I wish I had discovered earlier in our trip.

Another suggestion is to watch videos of the harder obstacles you plan to run. Hells gate is a good example. There are lots of videos of how to drive that one, and a few of how not to. Usually, just following the black tracks on the rock is the safe route.

As far as trails to run, Prichett canyon is my hands down favorite. I will always run it when I go. I even ran it twice last year, but thatís another story. So I know that two capable rigs can make it through the complete trail in 3 hours. That was a record for us. The second run was with 7 rigs and with stopping to weld one of them and tow another up the last hill, we did it in 8 hours. That does not include the 2 hours of bumpy road from the end of the trail back to pavement. All the hard obstacles have winch points. If you donít feel challenged enough by the other rails, itís an option to run on your last day to top off the trip. Itís hard, but also a lot of fun.

I would also recommend Hells Revenge. It is a great classic Moab trail. Moab Rim is a good short trail thatís close to town and has some ledges to get your attention as well as a great view at the top. (Short if you turn around at the viewpoint)

And last, Iím a little jealous you guys are going and I am not. Even though I went a year ago, I canít wait to go again. Moab is as awesome as everybody has told you.
    Robin.
    Gray 93 YJ - Slightly modified.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    The Red Rock 4-wheelers website looks like a great source for info on the trails. Maybe you guys already have these, but another source that’s nice to have with you on the trail is the Charles Wells Moab trail guide book . I picked up the latest version when we were down there and it has a lot of good info about most any trail you might want to run including GPS waypoints. And speaking of GPS, another option is to grab the Funtreks GPS data card that goes with the book.
    The book looks pretty cool. Did you happen to compare the KMLs available on RR4W to what was on the Funtreks card? Just wondering if there is something extra on the card to make it worth paying for. That said, there is a bundle for $56 for the book and card. Tempting.

And last, I’m a little jealous you guys are going and I am not. Even though I went a year ago, I can’t wait to go again. Moab is as awesome as everybody has told you.
    Thanks for all the great info! There is a solution to this problem... I see 4 open slots that could have your name on them. ;-)
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ on 40" MTRs. King Pin Dana 60 with RCVs. Shaved 14 bolt. ARBs. King 14" coilovers. Busted knuckle links.

I have not compared the kml's or tried to get that data into my GPS, so I'm not much help there. The Funtreks just makes it simple and quick since the card plugs directly into my GPS. But I didn't even find the Funtreks card until the end of our trip, so I didn't really use it.

And my August is already booked up. Hunting season starts on the 24th.
    Last edited by Bowhunter; 06-28-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    Robin.

I could loan you the book and card if you want. I am not going to make it on tomorrows run, so I won't see you then. There's a chance I will go out to TSF on the 6th. We've talked a little about checking out the fairly new sections of upper crusher. A guy with 1-tons and 40's probably needs to see that.
    Robin.

I could loan you the book and card if you want. I am not going to make it on tomorrows run, so I won't see you then. There's a chance I will go out to TSF on the 6th. We've talked a little about checking out the fairly new sections of upper crusher. A guy with 1-tons and 40's probably needs to see that.
    Haha. Oops. Too late, already ordered one. :-) I decided it was worth the $$ to encourage companies making professional quality information for off-roading. But, it would probably be useful to have 2 copies since I won't have a copilot, so it would probably be worth borrowing your book.

Definitely interested in July 6th. I'll PM you.
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ on 40" MTRs. King Pin Dana 60 with RCVs. Shaved 14 bolt. ARBs. King 14" coilovers. Busted knuckle links.

Anyone interested in meeting up with beer, an Internet connection, and a couple books and make a plan? Crawl through You Tube and trip reports. Not sure where Dave is, but the rest of us are in the Hillsboro/Beaverton area. I could volunteer my place in north Beaverton though Rodney's place is probably more central to Juan, me, and himself though.

Sure. I'm building a YouTube playlist of stuff that looks fun. Sounds like most of the hard stuff has a bypass which is a load off...I don't mind coming out to beaverton (am in ne) for a trail plan thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Wrangler Rubicon 2dr
    Gradual de-stocking: skid plates, rock hard front bumper, smitty winch.

Dave, you will be fine in your Jeep down there. I've been all over in my Willys with a 1" lift and 33's. Traction is great. Just go slow and pick your lines with a good spotter. Some stuff is extremely sketchy, but it is fun.

P.S. my Willys did have a built Chevy 350, 12 forward gears and 4 reverse, 5.38s and Detroits, but that shouldn't matter.
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"

That's a great idea. I'm free in the evenings July 12th - 14th. Vinnie, your house is probably the most centrally-located, but mine is available too if Candice would like to do something different at your house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AEV_LJ; 07-03-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    ~Rodney
    '05 LJ Rubicon. 3.75" suspension + 1.25" body lift with Currie adjustable links tuned to fit 35" MTRs.

Pics & Videos will be posted here: http://gitout.com/showthread.php?319...3760#post53760
    ~Rodney
    '05 LJ Rubicon. 3.75" suspension + 1.25" body lift with Currie adjustable links tuned to fit 35" MTRs.