Thread: Oregon l Tillamook State Forest & Camping l June 29, 2019

Oregon l Tillamook State Forest & Camping l June 29, 2019

Attendees:
    Vinnie with Juan as his passenger - Wrangler LJ on 40s!
    David and his son - Wrangler JK
    Adam - Cherokee
    Rodney - Wrangler LJ

It was Vinnie's first time out after upgrading to 1 tons & 40s, so we played around on FB5, Saddle Up, Airplane (filters) and Rocky Up Hill. Andy had transmission troubles, so he wasn't able to make it. We met up with a different Andy in a new Wrangler JL Rubicon who tagged along with us in the morning.

The "fun" began when I attempted to drive over the rock pile on the right side of FB5. I knew that Vinnie wanted to play on the rocks, so despite my better judgment I decided to drive through the ever moving pile of rocks on 35s without actually picking a line or seeing if it would be a reasonable thing to do. Near the end, I saw it would be quite challenging, so I attempted to exit stage left. That resulted in quite a bit of metal on rock action, but eventually I was able to make it off without any permanent damage. Vinnie walked right through it with only minor pauses to stop and backup in order to avoid thrashing his new steering on the rocks. The tight tree section of FB5 was fun too. I think Adam hit his bumper on a tree for the first time. There is a first time for everything. :-)

We stopped for lunch at the top of Crushers and Andy decided to head back to town for lunch. He showed us pictures of an awesome military vehicle before he left that left us all wanting to see it in action!

On Saddle Up, Adam got a bit tippy and asked for a spot. There are some fun obstacles on that trail, even when you go backwards (east to west).

Vinnie wanted to take a look at Airplane Hill now that he had 40s. I was initially thinking of going around to the top, but then I saw a line through the filter and decided to give it a try. There was a lot of traction, so it was fun to just walk right through! Vinnie & David followed and Adam decided to be prudent and drive around to the top. After briefly looking at the actual hill with mud still plentiful, Vinnie decided to wait for a dry day to attempt the crazy obstacles. The filters were fun and we all drove through without too much tire spin.

We ended the day on Rocky Up Hill for the last trail. Vinnie was hearing a noise (maybe a rear brake), so he decided to head home after making sure he could fit through the filter. The rest of us made quick work of the hill and then drove the short distance to our campsite.

The weather was perfect (in the upper 70s) with clouds shading us off and on throughout the day. We hung out and talked in the shade of my Jeep as the sun began to slowly fade to the west. Campfire wood was collected and then we enjoyed hot dogs and many hours of conversation around the campfire. At Midnight, we finally looked at a phone and realized how late it was, so we put out the remaining fire and went to bed.

The morning light and numerous birds woke me up at 5 am, so I got up to take a few pics and a video of the sunrise. It was well worth it, since the clouds had settled into the valley overnight and the views of three peaks in Washington were visible in the morning light.

We need to do this more often!
    Last edited by AEV_LJ; 07-05-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    ~Rodney
    '05 LJ Rubicon. 3.75" suspension + 1.25" body lift with Currie adjustable links tuned to fit 35" MTRs.

Very good trip. Was a blast to see Vinnie test out the new 40’s and suspension, and Rodney go through the the rock garden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    96' Jeep Cherokee XJ, 4.5" LA Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT,s, Or-fab rock crawler bumper, 9500# Smittybuilt winch,

Adam/KG7ZDX

Some more pictures/videos from saturday
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/SNfmi1jdUbVnSv2LA
    96' Jeep Cherokee XJ, 4.5" LA Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT,s, Or-fab rock crawler bumper, 9500# Smittybuilt winch,

Adam/KG7ZDX

Here is a link to my pics & videos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vbD5FMwvcsmaQYBE7
    ~Rodney
    '05 LJ Rubicon. 3.75" suspension + 1.25" body lift with Currie adjustable links tuned to fit 35" MTRs.

Looks like a most excellent trip!
    Come on Vinnie ! Get those 40's up Airplane
    When are you gittin on Crushers?
    Biff - short for Bifford aka - Byph
    There is no best vehicle. It depends on the terrain, tires, driver, luck, and lots of happenstance.
    84 Wagoneer 'Trail Tank' - 35 SSRs, 8274, Detroits, FrankinLift and soft leather.
    Check out my Tank Thread - http://gitout.com/showthread.php?222...ion-Trail-Tank
    barefootrunnerd:
    "No helmet needed on this run, only on some of Biffs"

Crushers?
    I predict: Today.
    Robin.
    Gray 93 YJ - Slightly modified.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    Crushers?
    I predict: Today.
    True story! Upper Crushers, Airplane, and Waterfall... Check! Traction on Airplane was crazy today. Robin, Keith, and Aaron all made it up with very little difficulty.
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ on 40" MTRs. King Pin Dana 60 with RCVs. Shaved 14 bolt. ARBs. King 14" coilovers. Busted knuckle links.