Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof Top Tent Review: Cascadia Vehicle Tents - Mt. Hood

Roof Top Tent Review: Cascadia Vehicle Tents - Mt. Hood

If you are in the market for a Roof Top Tent (RTT), here is my official review of the Cascadia Vehicle Tents model Mt. Hood. Let's start off with the particulars; most all the RTTs on the market today are virtually copies of each other, all made in China and shipped to the USA with slight variances in the rip stop materials, ladder, and of course each branded logo. The Cascadia Vehicle Tent version of these wonderful products offer up a few upgraded features from their competition:
    • Now both the rainfly and tent are made from the same 420g poly/cotton rip stop material
    • Telescoping ladder
    • All tents include the annex room in the price
    • Awning rooms now come in both 'No See-um" mesh and hard rip stop walls with windows

Per the official Cascadia Vehicle Tents (CVT) web page here are the specs of the Mt. Hood model:

• Size: 72"W x 96"L x 50"Ht. (Open)
    • Size: 72"W x 48"L x 14" Ht. (Closed)
    • Weight: 140lbs
    • Mattress: 2.5" zip covered foam pad
    • MSRP: $1395.00 USD + Shipping (if required)

OK, OK, how does this help you in your decision making process? Well, I am sure, like me, you too had several questions that may not have been able to be answered from online pictures, devoted forum threads, or you just didn't know where to start in finding out. Read on to get my perspective on the CVT - Mt. Hood RTT...

The Set Up
    Having picked-up my tent locally from CVT offices, it came ready to attach to my rack system. Having reviewed the layout, this is quite a simple process. Using the provided two bolt brackets, slide the bolts through each hole and then slide the completed 'set' through the T-track slots. Repeat this process for each set of attaching brackets (4 should be included). Next you will want to align your four (4) new attachment points with your desired connection points over your rack solution. Next, reaching your hands from the underside of your rack, attach the other provided brackets through the bolts hanging down from the 'sets' now attached to the tent bottom. With one hand, hold the bracket in place, with your other hand secure the provided nylon locking nuts to each bolt. You may repeat this step for each of the remaining 4 sets of brackets. Lastly, you'll need to cinch down each nut to securely tighten the RTT to your rack.

Tips & Tricks
    You will need a 11mm open end box wrench to perform the tightening of the nuts; if you have a ratcheting box wrench this will save you about 5+ minutes of time
    These do not need to be tightened with all your power, just tight enough so there are no gaps between the lower brackets and the nuts on each side of your rack
    Be sure to keep the same or near the same lengths of bolt coming through the lock nuts on each side; this will ensure you have the same amount of pull from each side of the bracket
    Depending on your application, you may want to get shorter bolts as the provided hardware are rendered for several application

Here is a video showing the set-up process from another consumer online.

Once your tent is fully secured to your rack, it should look something like this:

The Reveal
    Once you have your RTT securely fastened to your rack; it's time for the big to do; opening up the tent for the first time! This process proved quite easy and very intuitive numbered steps below:
    1. Unstrap the 2 velcro straps from the short side of the tent, these will be located near the center of the tent by the ladder
    2. Undo the velcro straps on the outer corners of the tent
    3. Unzip the heavy PVC cover and flip over the folding end of the tent (you may remove the cover by sliding it out of the rail - this is only required if you are going to attach the provided annex room)
    4. Undo the 2 velcro straps holding down the tent from the outside corners
    5. Pull the ladder out until it is fully opened and pull the tent to it's open position
    6. Lock the ladder's steps so that it is at approximately 70 degree angle and all the positions are locked (preventing the tent from sliding up and down upon entry)
    7. Adhere the 8 provided metal holds (2 for each opening) - this will ensure each door (2) and window (2) cover stay taught whilst it's open
    8. Climb into your tent and fold over the mattress pad

Having gone through the steps above with no prior training and in the dark, I can tell you first hand, this is a very easy process. On my second attempt at set-up, I ran a timed trial to see how long it actually took. Taking my time and still not a professional, I was able to record the following times:
    Set-Up = 13.55.87 minutes
    Tear-Down = 13.00.75 minutes

As you can see almost the same time to break down as it took to set-up, and since this time, I have performed the tasks in almost half that! Once you have your tent fully opened, it should look something like this:

The Space
    During my reviews of several models of RTTs, I was always curious as to how big was the listed dimensions in reality? I can picture what 70"W x 96"L x 50"H is, but is that big enough for my family of four? Well to put this into perspective, this is the same length as and nearly 20" wider than my king size bed! OK, so you are still sleeping on your twin mattress from college so how does it look from the inside?

Measuring the Height

Measuring the Length

Measuring the Width

Measuring the Thickness

I am not sure if four adults would want to sleep together in this space, but it could certainly accommodate; however for my wife and I, plus two kids this is a great size offering plenty of space for all and probably will for several years to come. I have noted as well if you are short (like me - under 5'6") then you could easily sleep 5 perpendicularly to the doors!
    ====================
    2004 4Runner Sport V6 - Silver
    BFG KM2 285/70/17 | Shrockworks Sliders | Spidertrax FF | TRD CAI | TRD Valve Stem Caps | Camburg UCAs
    Toytec C/O Lift 3/2 | Custom Rack | iPod Controls | R Diff Breather | Cobra 29 LTD BT | Custom End Links | Weather Tech Liners | Custom Rear Drawers

The Usability
    This tent is quite easy to get in and out of; it comes standard with two nylon handles that are quite long and allow for good pull when climbing up and a strong anchor for repelling down. The mattress pad supplied with the tent is mighty comfy straight out of the box and beats a 6"-8" air mattress all to h3ll; although (like many others) I may find myself increasing this with another 3" in mattress pad to offer up a plush sleeping quarter fit enough for my princess of a wife and daughter. The tent design offers plenty of extra room to store your sleeping gear in your tent full time! This makes for a very easy park to asleep situation. At present time, I have two oversized 20 degree bags, and two thick blankets and four pillows that stay in the tent event when folded and still have ample room to spare when the tent is folded back for cover or transport! I can see no issue with storing the additional mattress pad as mentioned above for full time storage options. If a single mattress pad is plenty for you, then have a close look at the Expedition Overland's episode IV: Laugh & Cry - at about 4 and a half minutes in you'll see the Xoverland team talking about the use of the additional storage by the RTT - they go so far as to storing spare motorcycle tire, Hi-Lift Jack, 3 ton floor jack, and a 6' aluminum ladder amongst other things!

Left & Right Handles

The zippers throughout the tent are nice big YKK brand, and all zip fantasticly; also with the design of the openings, there has been good thought put into the hanging material so as not to disrupt the open & close process.
    It's a pretty simple design with one thing in mind - comfortable, dry sleeping arrangements off the ground and out of nature's way. I couldn't think of anything better to add or retract from this Mt. Hood tent.

The Rating
    After an excitement filled initial night sleep and a follow-up two nighter with the whole family I am giving this tent a 4.5 of 5 stars. My only reservations at this point, are that I have not yet experienced the tent in any incliment weather and being brand new, I would expect such things to work flawlessly. That being said, I would have no issues giving this a full 5 star rating and having just been the leader of a Group Buy that netted 60+ sales, I will definitely be telling my friends and family members to purchase this model.

/

Look for a couple updates on the rating towards the end of the year as I have several trips planned for the Summer!
    Thank you for reading and I hope this review was helpful in your quest for your own RTT.

If you have any further questions about CVT, feel free to PM me.
    ====================
    2004 4Runner Sport V6 - Silver
    BFG KM2 285/70/17 | Shrockworks Sliders | Spidertrax FF | TRD CAI | TRD Valve Stem Caps | Camburg UCAs
    Toytec C/O Lift 3/2 | Custom Rack | iPod Controls | R Diff Breather | Cobra 29 LTD BT | Custom End Links | Weather Tech Liners | Custom Rear Drawers

Excellent review Brian! Makes me excited to use my tent next weekend.
    2003 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 20th Anniversary - 255/85 Toyo MT, Lovell & OME Suspension, ARB bumper, Zeon 10s, Custom Sliders, Fridge and a few other items.

-Peter

CVT tech tip 101

Good review.
    I thought I would add tech tips as I see them helpful. Just doing a driveway setup for preparation and mods.

Here is a pic of some added straps to help pull the tent tight against ladder and extrusion. Don't over-pull or you will have problems. This will help get rid of any tent bounce. I am going to add some anchor points to bottom of tent for straps. Then add some support bars that will hook on trailer for extra support of the fold out section. These mods are not needed but will be good additives.

Cam-shaft
    Last edited by cam-shaft; 07-29-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Be careful with the straps! The tents aren't made to be pulled extremely tight... Mine always has a slight slope when folded out.
    2003 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 20th Anniversary - 255/85 Toyo MT, Lovell & OME Suspension, ARB bumper, Zeon 10s, Custom Sliders, Fridge and a few other items.

-Peter

Yes you have to understand how too make things firm vs just cranking on straps. The CVT does have an extrusion that tent should push into when open, you do not want to pull past that. This will be a good reason for the fold down supports that tie into the trailer, they will not put any pull on tent frame just more support.
    Cam-shaft
    Last edited by cam-shaft; 07-29-2012 at 10:39 PM.

CVT tent leveling ramps

Cheap and easy method for leveling your truck or trailer for sleeping in your RTT/TTT. Most people probably have their own idea, these can be made with scrap 2x4 wood and some screws. They can be modified as one finds necessary. I find them super handy vs having to use nature to level truck or trailer. Make yourself a couple.

Cam-shaft.
    Last edited by cam-shaft; 07-31-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Looks good! Slight improvement over rocks...

-Peter

Do you have to "shock" the fabric with water then let dry to help seal the seams?

CVT horizon awning.

CVT's new horizon fan style awning at the rv show I made the name up but it sounded proper. It does not come very far out from the vehicle vs the side mount awning. You can get complete sides for it along with all of their other awnings.

CVT fourth customer right here with side awning.

Cam-shaft
    Last edited by cam-shaft; 09-15-2013 at 07:35 PM.