Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOAB Trailer Tents

MOAB Trailer Tents

Building your own backcountry camping trailer? Here is the prefect option for converting it to a Tent Topped camping trailer.

The "Mobile Outdoor Adventure Bedroom" or "MOAB's, isn’t just another Rooftop Tent. They are an innovative folding tent unit optimized for Trailer Top usage. MOABs are the only one of its kind tent unit manufactured in the USA. They are made using premium outfitter grade materials. They are also the only DIY folding style tent unit kit available.

With a MOAB, people wanting a Tent Topped Compact Camping Trailer have a cost effective, unique option for a safe, comfortable nights sleep off the ground. A traveling bedroom that packs into a compact size with a fold-open design that makes setup a breeze.

To ensure the highest quality and craftsmanship we’ve partnered with Kirkham’s Outdoor Products, the award winning maker of Springbar Tents to bring you our M.O.A.B™ folding tent units.

Specs:
    • Tent Fabric: 10.1 oz Army Duck, 100% cotton canvas, Sunforger treated.
    • Floor: Treated 9 oz vinyl-laminated polyester.
    • Changing Room Fabric: 400D Nylon Oxford Cloth, 3/4 oz urethane coating, UV and CPAI-84 fire-retardant treated.
    • Screens: Heavy duty, tight mesh fiberglass, CPAI-84 fire-retardant treated.
    • Tent body size: 56” W x 84” L footprint, 47” at Main bow, 21” at Foot bow.
    • Changing room: 56” wide x 36” deep.
    Standard size works with platform height range of 31”-40”. We can do strap modifications for up to 3” shorter platforms and add a few extra inches to the stake loops if necessary.
    Long version adds 10” for a platform height range of 31”-50”.
    • Travel cover fabric: 18 oz PVC coated polyester scrim core tarp fabric.
    • Platform hinges: 12 ga stainless steel
    • Bows: 6464-T832 marine grade anodized Aluminum
    • Weight: Complete kit with Changing Room 37 lbs

For additional information and ordering visit, MOAB Tent Unit

Scott
    Compact Camping Concepts
    1992 Suzuki Sidekick, OME lift & 235s

I would agree this is a "do it yourselfer" type of tent. with the moab tent I need to source my own mattress, and build a base for it to fasten to correct?

I guess I dont see the draw. for another 100 bucks or so, I bought my CVT tent with a nice mattress included, changing annex, and a aluminum base platform. it would seem moab is indeed selling a DIY tent, but pocketing the savings instead of passing it on. for anyone considering one, I urge them to do the research on what a decent mattress pad costs, and your time involved in building a good base for this tent.

Yes, with a MOAB you build your own base and purchase the mattress separately. A MOAB and CVT tent unit isn’t really an apple to apples comparison.

MOABs are optimized for trailer top usage, notice the different shape. In many trailer top applications, the top of your trailer box acts as half of your platform, so you only need to build the folding portion. With CVT tents, or any of the Chinese imports, the changing rooms do not function correctly when the tent unit is mounted lower on a trailer.

MOABs use a higher grade of materials. The tent bodies are made from mil-spec marine army duck canvas, a much more breathable fabric without sacrificing rain performance. All zippers are premium YKK brand. Ever see what happens when an open flame or flying amber comes in contact with polyester and urethane such as the CVT?

With our recommended source, you can have a quality 3” foam mattress with cover shipped to your door for $115. No one size fits all approaches, choose the type / density of foam that is best for your weigh and sleeping style.

When working on the MOAB design, I made a choice early on that my manufacturing dollars where going to US, not Chinese workers. Small run + US manufacturing = cost more.

Comparing pricing: CVT’s Mt Shasta w/ c-room (this model is the closest to a MOAB with the c-room protecting the main tent’s door) is $1295.00 and a MOAB w/ c-room is $795.00, and lets not forget shipping (to your door), Mt Shasta $250.00, MOAB $48.00. My math shows a $700+ savings, or $500 after the purchase of a mattress and platform materials.

I agree; recognize your needs and criteria important to you. Then do your own research and assess which of the available products is best for you.

Expeditionnw “pissy mode on” For someone recommending do your research, maybe you should follow your own advice before accusing people of poor business practices … “pissy mode off”.
    Scott
    Compact Camping Concepts

I, and im sure many others respect the decision to manufacture your newest tent in the US.

I have owned used the CVT tent, of course I haven't owned yours so I couldnt compare the quality of materials. suffice to say I was happy with the CVT. Incidentally, mine had YKK zippers, im not sure on the fabric material.

When I bought my shasta a year ago (almost to the day), I paid 950 and some change for the tent with the annex, delivered. as I recall, the annex was a gimme with the tent.

the delivery is a bit of a moot point here though. your in salem, cvt is in bend. either one is within easy driving distance of portland.

I dont mean to split hairs or offend you. re reading my post, I can see how it sounds like a dig.

I posted before I looked at prices on the cvt, prices have apparently gone up (alot) since I bought mine a year ago.
    Sorry to offend.

Expeditionnw, Thanks, water under the bridge … one off my hot buttons is having some ones “story” verses facts be taken by others as truth, normally sets off my pissy mode.

Just so there is no confusion, I’m not implying there is anything wrong with the imported RTT brands such as, CVT. I’ve been using / selling them for the last five years also, I’m a dealer for Mombasa Outdoors. I have many happy customers out there using them, these tents perform as expected.

As I noted, my MOABs are really design / optimized for trailer top usage. If you are down Salem way and ever want to see a MOAB in person, let me know, I normally have a demo unit in the shop.
    Scott
    Compact Camping Concepts

Here is a new picture from the customer with the yellow Jeep, his MOAB Tent Topped trailer is now painted to match.

Scott
    Compact Camping Concepts

Last year, between work and school, I spent about three months building a MOAB tent topped trailer. I love the quality of the tent itself and it was VERY warm during cold weather camping. I also love the smell of the tent, yes I know that is weird! However, given the chance to do it again, I would not. I'm a tall person, the changing room is too small for me and the fact that there is no floor caused a few problems (animals got in and everything got muddy). Water can and WILL get between the tent and the platform when it rains, I had to leave my trailer half set up so it would dry out. The cost of the tent and mattress alone is ridiculous, (over $1000 plus shipping) don't even get me started on the cost of materials for the platform and the trailer itself. Also, the trailer gets heavy really quick, so the marketing it can be pulled by a smaller car is false, you need at least a mid sized truck to pull it. First chance I get this year I'm putting it on the curb with a for sale sign on it, I just hope I can get back some of what I put into it. The plain fact is you have a trailer, but are still camping in a tent, so save your money and get a nice Coleman, or Ozark Trail tent. It is a nice tent, but a very expensive DIY tent. I don't care if my post pisses people off, to me, this trailer was a huge, expensive disappointment.

Glad to hear you were happy with the quality and staying warm during cold weather camping. It’s funny, for a lot of people that are a little older, the smell of a cotton canvas tent, is a great thing because it brings back happy memories of camping as a kid.

Sorry to hear the overall experience of upgrading to Tent Topped camping has not met your expectations. I must admit I find your comment, “The plain fact is you have a trailer, but are still camping in a tent”, some what confusing. I believe we are more than clear about the fact we are in the Tent Topped camping trailer business. I’m hearing two areas of concern in your post, the tent unit and your trailer.

On the tent unit,
    How tall are you?
    What is your platform height?
    What materials did you us to build your platform?
    When you say too small, is you head hitting the roof or are you referring to wanting more space inside the C-room?
    What was in you C-room when animals broke in? Was it day or night? Do you know what kind of animal(s) it was?

One trade-off with upgrading to a cotton canvas based tent is needing to do a good job of drying it out before storage. Part of the drying it out is checking for moisture between the tent floor and platform. This is always a topic I cover when discussing MOABs with a perceptive customer. How many times did we talk before you purchased your MOAB?

Related to cost, I’ve shown above a MOAB is less expensive than a standard rooftop style tent option, while including better fabric and a shape tailored to trailer top usage. Lets be accurate when giving out numbers; MOAB kit with changing room $795.00 + shipping $48.00 + mattress with cover including shipping (at last check) $115.00 = $958.00.

On your trailer,
    Did you build an Explorer Box or similar trailer? If so, what did you use to build it?
    What type of frame did you use? What size tires are you running?
    How much does your trailer weigh in at? What is the loaded weigh of your trailer?
    What is the type vehicle and its tow capacity did you intended to tow with?

I’m interested in better understanding how your expectations of my products were missed. I believe I’m a straight shooter when it comes to how we market and share information about products. If there is confusing, missing or misleading information I would like to address it.
    Scott
    Compact Camping Concepts

Quote Originally Posted by schaney View Post

As I noted, my MOABs are really design / optimized for trailer top usage. If you are down Salem way and ever want to see a MOAB in person, let me know, I normally have a demo unit in the shop.
    Where are you located? I am interested in looking at one of these sometime.
    Gone Jeepin'

Pipelayer, I'm in south Salem, five minutes from the Hwy 5 & Kuebler exit. Just let me know when is good for you.
    Scott
    Compact Camping Concepts